Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LT Suspension vs. A Regular Lifted Suspension

Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
bobby632 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
bobby632's Tacoma Gallery
LT Suspension vs. A Regular Lifted Suspension

I am about to my buy my first Taco! I have seen the LT suspensions and it looks like shocks get set up in the bed and then wider front and rear fenders. What is the point of an LT suspension? What type of off-roading is it built for? And finally why do people do the LT suspension versus the regular lifted suspension?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
icallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really nice
Name: Jamie
icallhertaco11's Tacoma Gallery
Good question for one money, Pro Comp (me) versus Kings/Icon (LT) let's just say i'd be turning around to go home with a broken truck long before them if they ever did ahaa
That's my input now
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby632 View Post
I am about to my buy my first Taco! I have seen the LT suspensions and it looks like shocks get set up in the bed and then wider front and rear fenders. What is the point of an LT suspension? What type of off-roading is it built for? And finally why do people do the LT suspension versus the regular lifted suspension?
in short
"lift"=
raising suspension with stiffer coils/leaf packs, paired with longer shocks. stock length arms and stock/stockish shock/spring hangars

LT=
complete suspension swap, longer arms, longer leaf packs, longer shocks, gusseted everything, longer everything.
mainly used for high-speed stuff. longer, stronger shocks and longer arms means more, controlled travel.

lift-go slow over shit
LT-fly over shit

theres a metric fuckton of info on this stuff around the forum, try taking a look at it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...formation.html

and

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ere-first.html
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
in short
"lift"=
raising suspension with stiffer coils/leaf packs, paired with longer shocks. stock length arms and stock/stockish shock/spring hangars

LT=
complete suspension swap, longer arms, longer leaf packs, longer shocks, gusseted everything, longer everything.
mainly used for high-speed stuff. longer, stronger shocks and longer arms means more, controlled travel.

lift-go slow over shit
LT-fly over shit

theres a metric fuckton of info on this stuff around the forum, try taking a look at it.
Quote:
in short
"lift"=

LT=

lift-go slow over shit
LT-fly over shit

Couldn't have explained it any better man, thanks! That's exactly what I like to do is "fly over shit" !
So my next question would be then I have only seen the LT suspension on single and ext cabs. I'm wanting to get a double cab, can I steel do the LT suspension. Does the LT limit what kind of trails I can go on because they are obviously not as high lifted. I live in Arizona so it is mostly desert trails. Some of the trails can get pretty ruff but not talking like boulders or anything obviously.

Nice Tacoma by the way!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Couldn't have explained it any better man, thanks! That's exactly what I like to do is "fly over shit" !
So my next question would be then I have only seen the LT suspension on single and ext cabs. I'm wanting to get a double cab, can I steel do the LT suspension. Does the LT limit what kind of trails I can go on because they are obviously not as high lifted. I live in Arizona so it is mostly desert trails. Some of the trails can get pretty ruff but not talking like boulders or anything obviously.

Nice Tacoma by the way!
theres LT guys that still wheel their trucks on the rocks. They might have less clearance in the back with how their leafs are set up (under the axle, rather than over) but they have a hell of a lot of flex to make up for it.

there's also guys that run full LT in the front and keep the rear mid-travel to stay on the trails

but it depends on what kit you buy. with the longer arms, some front kits make the front too wide to go on narrow trails.

also take into account a good LT will cost upwards of $10,000. and it's a hell of a lot more than just bolting parts up. you have a looooooooooooooooooot of reading to do. have fun
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice Tacoma by the way!
One thing that wasnt mentioned yet is budget, how much are you willing to spend? Basically the front kits bolt on to any year truck of that gen (basically) and the rear is mostly cutom fab work. Double cabs have been LT'd.

Expect to have 10K front and rear invested at a minimum to go LT.

There are also 4WD kits that retain 4WD.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
One thing that wasnt mentioned yet is budget, how much are you willing to spend? Basically the front kits bolt on to any year truck of that gen (basically) and the rear is mostly cutom fab work. Double cabs have been LT'd.

Expect to have 10K front and rear invested at a minimum to go LT.

There are also 4WD kits that retain 4WD.
I've been waiting to see your links for suuuuuuuuuuuuch a long time
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice Tacoma by the way!
Here is the build thread for my double cab. There are a few other built ones on here as well. It is awesome to have 3 other friends with you when you're ripping through the desert. I built mine to haul ass through the desert safely and comfortably and I daily drive it as well. Next step is the roll cage and its done.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...cab-build.html

Heres is another one that is bad ass and 4x4

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/124138.htm
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
Quote:
theres LT guys that still wheel their trucks on the rocks. They might have less clearance in the back with how their leafs are set up (under the axle, rather than over) but they have a hell of a lot of flex to make up for it.

there's also guys that run full LT in the front and keep the rear mid-travel to stay on the trails

but it depends on what kit you buy. with the longer arms, some front kits make the front too wide to go on narrow trails.

also take into account a good LT will cost upwards of $10,000. and it's a hell of a lot more than just bolting parts up. you have a looooooooooooooooooot of reading to do. have fun
I never thought about making the front full LT and then doing the mid-travel in the rear. That's really smart because it brings the cost down quite a bit but still has the same effect, and I would have to do a ton of fab work. I'll keep in mind about the longer arms because there are quite a but of narrow trails out here in Arizona.

I plan on putting a lot into overtime so I am not worried about the cost.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
LT front and mid-travel rear is a terrible end goal. Most of us who have that set up are "in progress" on LT'ing the rear end.

The rear end will buck if you attempt to use the front end to its potential.

You're better of mid travel front and LT rear.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been waiting to see your links for suuuuuuuuuuuuch a long time
Me Too lol

Quote:
I never thought about making the front full LT and then doing the mid-travel in the rear. That's really smart because it brings the cost down quite a bit but still has the same effect, and I would have to do a ton of fab work. I'll keep in mind about the longer arms because there are quite a but of narrow trails out here in Arizona.

I plan on putting a lot into overtime so I am not worried about the cost.
Not exactly the same effect and could be very dangerous thinking so. Could me the difference between a smooth ride and an Endo...
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
LT front and mid-travel rear is a terrible end goal. Most of us who have that set up are "in progress" on LT'ing the rear end.

After doing some reading and looking through pics I think Im gonna go full LT. It is just my style of off-roading and I love the look
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
[QUOTE=whitetoblack;6691787]Here is the build thread for my double cab. There are a few other built ones on here as well. It is awesome to have 3 other friends with you when you're ripping through the desert. I built mine to haul ass through the desert safely and comfortably and I daily drive it as well. Next step is the roll cage and its done.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...cab-build.html

Heres is another one that is bad ass and 4x4

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-r...htm[/QUOTE]

I just fell in love with build man! Im saving your build page for future reference.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After doing some reading and looking through pics I think Im gonna go full LT. It is just my style of off-roading and I love the look
Make sure to read all of the tacked threads in the LT section, it will get you 75% up to speed on exactly what LT is and what it entails. The other 25% you gotta earn the hard way lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Mid travel front, LT rear FTW
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Quote:
Make sure to read all of the tacked threads in the LT section, it will get you 75% up to speed on exactly what LT is and what it entails. The other 25% you gotta earn the hard way lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=656FwOwd1mw

This just sold me. That is so bad ass!! Who doesn't want to go that fast and that high in the air with such a smooth landing. On some of those jumps the tires don't even leave the ground which is probably one of the coolest effects. Time to start reading and learning haha
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #18
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
For 1st gen.
Stock rear shock VS LT rear shock

Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
For 1st gen.
Stock rear shock VS LT rear shock