LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY Hi-Lift mount

Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
DIY Hi-Lift mount

About a month ago I got stuck in some deep mud and high-centered and really wished I had a hi-lift with me.. Had to get rescued by a Cummins..

So recently I bought a 54" hi lift, but then there's the problem of where to store it.. its bulky, heavy, and awkward.

After looking at some of the options I decided to just make my own. I designed it based on the HI Lift 4XRAC but added a few things which I felt were necessary.

This is how it turned out!

fits nicely along the side of the bed

added rubber stoppers on each side of the jack to secure it snuggly and prevent damage from the bolts

found these screw on handles and they're perfect! much better than wing-nuts
also there are backing plates on the back-side of the bed rails for added strength

because the jack is so heavy I thought it needed some type of vertical supports

Materials used:
(42") 1 1/2" x 1/8" flat steel (brackets, vertical supports, and backing plates)
(8) 1/4" x 3/4" hex bolts and stop nuts (used to mount brackets to bed rail)
(2) 5/16" x 3 1/2" full thread hex bolts
(4) fender washers
(2) 5/16" nuts
(4) rubber stoppers
(2) screw on handles

The jack is very secure and doesn't seem to bounce around at all and the handles make it very easy and quick to access. Total cost was about $40.

*sorry I didn't get any pics of the "fabrication" process but I plan on taking it all apart to paint it so I can get some.

Hope this helps someone out!!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good and good idea on reinforcing the lip, as we know, they are really not that strong.

The only concern I have is the vertical support looks just like the stuff you can get from home depot, which really isn't going to hold a load very well like that. You might want to think about replacing it with something with an angle or two for that added regitivity. I'm just concerned that something you're hauling will bend the support, causing the support to be useless.

Have you through about trying to reinforce the channel itself? That might work, if you dont mind putting some bolts on the top as well. Not sure how well that would work, as you wouldn't be able to reinforce it from the outside of the bed. Just tossing out an idea though.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Bro do you even 'Merica?
jdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
jdk52's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for later reference
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
The only concern I have is the vertical support looks just like the stuff you can get from home depot, which really isn't going to hold a load very well like that. You might want to think about replacing it with something with an angle or two for that added regitivity. I'm just concerned that something you're hauling will bend the support, causing the support to be useless.

Yea its from Lowe's, not the strongest steel but it was cheap and easy to get. I could replace it with a thicker support if I notice it is getting bent or weakened

Have you through about trying to reinforce the channel itself? That might work, if you dont mind putting some bolts on the top as well. Not sure how well that would work, as you wouldn't be able to reinforce it from the outside of the bed. Just tossing out an idea though.
By "channel" do you mean the bed rails? I have a topper so I don't see bolting anything thru the top of the rails. I did make backing plates out of the same 1/8" steel and the rails don't flex at all when I try to wiggle the bracket, so far so good, I'll see how it holds up to bumpy roads and off-road abuse
Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
hope it holds up for you...

I did similar... but installed it differently
so muh 60's weight rests upon the wheel well.

It looks like you have supports going to the bed's floor...
so hopefully that will hold up over time and gravity.
But you should have a 90* at the bottom of the vertical supports
and bolt those down to the bed.
Probably need to gusset those 90* ends as well.

I don't trust the flimsy bed rails to support much weight...
especially when the weight is supported by horizontal bolts that
are inserted into what I consider to be, not far off from, cheap pot metal.
^ Use of backing plates should help reinforce that some.

well not exactly true... I guess the bed's rail supports muh shell...
But the "j" hooks fubar the bed rail(s) lip...
Guess one day I need to spend some time reinforcing that
or just hard mount the shell by drilling vertically into the rail.

Just sayin' what I've seen...
Even tho' yours has an attempt of support off the bed...
The vertical supports need work on the lower ends.
I've seen others similar with the upper mounts torn from the bed rail.

I built a jack support similar to yours for a friend...
I used square tube for the vertical supports
flat stock has too much flex IMO

similar to these...
('cept I used two mounting bolts at the upper - w BP's both upper/lower)

Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

I would have loved to rest it on the wheel well but my short bed kinda kills that idea..

and yea I'm kinda counting on gravity to help out here. I like the idea of doing a 90 at the bottom of the support, but I'm hesitant to bolt through my bed liner/bed, also no welder so gussets aint happening.

this was my first attempt, there's room for improvement, and with the ideas I've gotten already I definitely foresee some nice mods coming.

thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Beer
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for later
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
xd45 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: USCGA
Name: Chris
xd45's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
SnowmanFX is on a distinguished road
SnowmanFX's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the rubber stoppers?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
DHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to behold

DHwreckage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post

I built a jack support similar to yours for a friend...
I used square tube for the vertical supports
flat stock has too much flex IMO

similar to these...
('cept I used two mounting bolts at the upper - w BP's both upper/lower)

You should sell these i want one
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #14
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. Maybe see some more hi-lift mounts?

I just ordered mine off Amazon so this will be a dilemma I am soon to face
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
PBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura aboutPBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
PBR Streetgang's Tacoma Gallery
sorry, wrong forum, post moved.