Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stolen Tailgate :(

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Ariel03 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ariel
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
Stolen Tailgate :(

Someone stole my tailgate while I was in class.. Campus cops couldnt do much about it. Anyone know where i can find one for cheap? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
If you check Craigslist in a few days, you might find yours on it. I see lots of tailgates on Craigslist pretty sure there are theft rings stealing and reselling them.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so just after I posted above I googled tailgate thefts and holy shit I was 100% right. See article below.

While the total number of tailgate thefts isn’t anywhere near as high as vehicle thefts, a new report from the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) reveals that tailgate thefts are on the rise.

High tailgate-theft states and cities

Of the top five states for tailgate theft, four are in the West. In descending order of theft claims, the states are:

Texas – 451 claims California – 272 claims Arizona – 125 claims Florida – 86 claims Nevada – 36 claims

As for the highest-ranked tailgate theft cities, three are in Texas, while Arizona and California have one each, as follows: Houston – 96 thefts San Antonio – 70 thefts Dallas – 51 thefts Phoenix – 36 thefts Fresno – 31 thefts

Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
Yea Ill take your advice on the Craigslist thing. Ive been doing some research too, i guess ima get a lock one if i replace it. Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
People these days id be pissed
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
jdkilroy is a name known to alljdkilroy is a name known to alljdkilroy is a name known to alljdkilroy is a name known to alljdkilroy is a name known to alljdkilroy is a name known to all

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen where the hose clamp mod can slow them down but I checked mine (2002) the other day and noticed that it bolts to the bed. There is no easy way to drop it and remove it without taking out the bolts.

Is this what they are doing or are there different types of tail gates ?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Do the hose clamp mod when you get a new one!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
How the hell, wasn't your tailgate bolted to the truck? Or do you remember?
Cause you have to take the bolts out on mine. Sorry to here about it man, I'd be super pissed.

My suggestion is to check local junkyards and craigslist.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it was bolted on. I guess its not really hard to remove and also mine doesnt use a key to open it. Yeah im pretty pissed off about it. I will try the junks but i would rather not worry about it now since theres not much to do other than seek revenge on every other taco at school. >
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery

Disappointment in society.
Plastidipped the emblems too! Damit..
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel03 View Post
This ^

Sorry man. That sucks.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
White Monster is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electronics Technician 2nd Class Petty Officer
Name: Steve
White Monster's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer, that sucks.
Glad I've got a cap on mine.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel03 View Post

Plastidipped the emblems too! Damit..
Actually, if you find one on craigslist in your area with plastidipped emblems you could prob talk to the local police and see if there is a way to arrest them if you can prove its yours.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Ah oh well, dad says not to worry about it. I will eventually replace it. Good thing i got that financial aid check.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
GLD01 will become famous soon enough
Name: Jamie
GLD01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeton View Post
Actually, if you find one on craigslist in your area with plastidipped emblems you could prob talk to the local police and see if there is a way to arrest them if you can prove its yours.
All the major body components, plus the frame, have a small decal with your truck's VIN on it. I'd put money on our tailgates having one, too. I just went and looked at mine, and like the OP, I have a bed liner, and I'm guessing it's behind that somewhere on the tailgate (I didn't find the decal in the obvious, uncovered areas of the tailgate.)

If somehow you miraculously cross paths with it again, that decal would be all the proof you need.

Edit - Those little decals, if missing, would also be a telltale sign of a truck having been wrecked, or at least having suffered enough body damage to warrant replacement.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
Im thinking if maybe I should run those nets. Like the Bully ones. Should I?
If anyone had one I would love to have it.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
rmtofast is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rmtofast's Tacoma Gallery
All they have to do is carry cutters with them snip snip and its there's ..probally sell them with no cables..If I saw someone stealing mine I'd watch them and wait till they got it off then wrap it around there head. Then I'd proceed to put them in the bed of my truck and deliver the person to the local hospital and call it even
Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtofast View Post
All they have to do is carry cutters with them snip snip and its there's ..probally sell them with no cables..If I saw someone stealing mine I'd watch them and wait till they got it off then wrap it around there head. Then I'd proceed to put them in the bed of my truck and deliver the person to the local hospital and call it even
Ha! i like your thinking.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
Well guess what turned up today.. Some friends I have.. -__- All started since I took his antenna. Still a great present!