1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust Prevention Methods?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by oh no not again, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    oh no not again

oh no not again [OP] Member

Member:
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Regular 2.4L
    Hello. Was wondering about rust prevention: 2 questions:
    Premise: I live and work by the coast/on a boat, and my taco spends easily 60+ hours a week within a few hundred feet of the water, sometimes even parked ON the wharf for lengthy times.... I like to rinse the bottom at LEAST once a week- I've seen the horrible things salty breezes can do to metal.

But I wonder, am I threatening to further rust my taco by simply wetting my undersides weekly? **Is there a recommended method for drying things off?**

Also, on our boats we stick blocks of metals- with higher oxidation potentials- on various parts of the boat. These blocks essentially take the bullet of oxidation/rust and help maintain the metallic components of the boat. **Is there a similar method for road vehicles?**

I thank you very much for your time in reading this. Any feedback at all is highly appreciate! :)

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Fluid film. Coat everything underneath. Everything. A lot. With fluid film.

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    jdkilroy

jdkilroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    Not sure how sacrificial anodes would work on a land based vehicle since they normall rely on salt water as the conducting medium to complete the "corrosion circuit" but I too have wondered about how I could utilize this principle.

To treat rust, I use this product called Ospho. Works great but in the end, rust is still an ongoing maintenance issue.

4. Apr 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Can't stop it. Can only fight it tooth and nail.

Touch up surface rust before it has a chance to become a problem. If it's already a problem, get it cut out and patched at a good frame shop. Fluid coatings prior to winter never hurt, just clean well beforehand. Also, moving the fuck out of the Northeast (if there).

You're on the right track with frequent washes. You're washing paint, not metal, so no, you're not worsening things. Keep getting whatever the breeze is depositing there off the vehicle.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top