1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DirtyDTaco, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Apr 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    DirtyDTaco

DirtyDTaco [OP] Talk slow, shoot fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '00 XtraCab 4x4 3.4L V6 5-Speed, 240K miles
    Polk 6.5" Coaxial Door Speakers, Pioneer DEH-X6500BT Head Unit, Black Bed-Lined Badges, 15% Tint, JL Audio 10" BassWedge, Alpine 500w Mono Amp
    So one day coming home from school, when I got out of the truck I noticed the smell of burning oil. Then I turned and in the sun I noticed a small but steady bit of white smoke coming from the drivers side of the hood. Popped the hood and noticed a bit of burnt oil, where the smoke was coming from. I check the oil level all the time and it's never down, so it must be dripping just enough to cause the smoke and smell. However, it still worries me as an oil leak is never a good thing. I haven't had time to let somebody look at it so I'm just gonna post a few pictures and see what yall think about it. I know I need to get it fixed asap but what do yall think it is, and how urgent? In the last one you can see a little smoke. Thank yall in advance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    valve cover gasket, mine was leaking for I say 100,000 miles ago:eek: and finally bought new gaskets and replace both. no more leaks no more oil burning smell. the only hazards I would worry about is it can cause fire. the oil burning off the exhaust pipe. I saw it done at my work place awhile back.....:eek:

3. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto.
    Wife's Mercury Tracer (Mazda 323) burned to the ground.
    Insurance company wrote it up as a blown fuel line, and that may have been the case, but I had been fighting an oil leak for months and was worried that it might catch.

4. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    thatSchusterguy

thatSchusterguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    96 X-Cab
    OME/881 Dakars Demello HD sliders Marlin 1200# Clutch Rust and Duct Tape
    Snug down the bolts of that valve cover, 99.9999% probability that they are loose and causing the leak you see.

Mine did the same thing for 20k miles, tightened the bolts and poof no mo problemo

5. Apr 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    DirtyDTaco

DirtyDTaco [OP] Talk slow, shoot fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '00 XtraCab 4x4 3.4L V6 5-Speed, 240K miles
    Polk 6.5" Coaxial Door Speakers, Pioneer DEH-X6500BT Head Unit, Black Bed-Lined Badges, 15% Tint, JL Audio 10" BassWedge, Alpine 500w Mono Amp
    Meant to tell y'all, got new valve cover gaskets.. Leaking stopped. Thanks for all the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top