1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hoses to replace when changing valve cover gaskets

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Corn, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    Corn

Corn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab 3.4 ltr
    Fog lights, suspension, wheels
    Hoses to replace when changing valve cover gaskets
    2000 Tacoma 3.4 V6 4WD

Could you guys help me in determining which hoses to replace when I replace the valve cover gaskets.

I would like to have some replacement hoses ready before I start, so when I start taking hose connections apart and they are cracked -due to being 13 years old- I can replace them without leaving the engine wide open for days.

If you have experience in changing the valve gaskets, and know which hoses need to be removed in order to remove the plenum, etc. (so I can go to the parts store and ask for these ___ hoses) could you give me a list and or a pic?

Note: I've already replaced the PCV valve and it's hose.

2. Apr 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    I just had both of my valve covers off 4-5 times in the last week or two. (long story)

I had no issues with any of the hoses to the point where i'd want to spend the cash to replace them. What i would do, is spend some time under the hood with a flashlight and look at the large double walled hose that 'clips' into the mount on the top of the plenum, and connects to the the bung closest to the throttle body, on the firewall side of the intake. That's the only one i considered replacing due to wear, but Toyota wanted ~$22 for the hose and it really wasn't that bad... so i skipped it.

Did you use an OEM toyota PCV valve or did you go with an Autozone generic? Reason being, my off-brand PCV valve was a piece of crap. For about 3$ more, you get a beefy, metal, OEM PCV valve. I would also order the upper and lower plenum gaskets. Get the good quality, three layer ones as well. Air leaks suck. And make sure you take your time when pulling off and putting back on the passenger side cover, there's a tab between the front two cyl's that you don't want to bend.

3. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    Corn

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that info. I used Toyota parts (made in Japan) for the PCV valve and hose. I also plan on using Toyota parts for the gaskets as well. It's literally about 110$ for the gaskets/plenum gaskets/nut gaskets/spark plug gaskets--and apparently the Toyota valve gaskets are meant to expand so you don't need that silicon shit in the 90 degree angles. Those Toyota factory hoses that are angled for correct routing can be pricey though. I'll spend some more time figuring out any hoses. As of now I don't have the Toyota Haynes repair manual yet. I'm sure it will have diagrams of the engine, etc.

4. Apr 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM
    MEDICDUDE423

MEDICDUDE423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Limited X-Cab 4WD
    After you figure out the hoses you are going to replace post a few pics if you can, I have the complete wiring diagram, post up which ones you need and ill pin them up

5. Apr 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Corn

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. May be a while, but I will.

6. Apr 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    Corn

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    I will try and replace most of these hoses. The key ones will be located underneath the throttle body/plenum located in the close-ups. Also attached a general over view pic. Thanks

016.jpg
    019.jpg
    022.jpg
    020.jpg

7. Apr 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

I just did my valve cover gaskets in Friday and none of my vacuum hoses were damaged so I didn't replace any of them. I've read that some people don't replace the spark plug seals that go on the valve cover gasket cause it's a pain to get them off, but once you remove one of them the rest are a piece of cake. I just used a small screw driver and a small hammer to tap them out of there. Also when you install the new ones make sure you install them the correct way because they will fit on there the wrong way.

8. Apr 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Only hose I had to replace was to the PCV valve. In addition, I would personally do the spark plug seals while you're in there, they're really not that much of a bear... Just need some vise grips and a 32mm socket to get the new ones in.

Other things to really consider: plenum gaskets, throttle body gasket, valve cover bolt washers/gaskets, cam plugs, inspect valve clearances. I cleaned TB, MAF, plenums, and changed spark plugs and wires while I was in there too.

Good luck!

9. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    From what I can see in those pics, none of those hoses need replacing.

Products Discussed in

To Top