1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thermostat problem....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kevinl34, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    kevinl34

kevinl34 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    duncan s.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota tacoma dbl cab sr5
    I just bought a new thermostat for a 2001 tacoma.... well It seems to be running a little high in temperture meaning its not in the red but it like right above the middle mark were it should be. The old one ran ran about the same place also, but a friend of mine thought that it may be running a little warm. Its getting up to temperture and the heat blowing fine I can feel coolant running in the the hose were the t-stat is but it doesnt get warm(the hose) has anyone ever had a problem with the beck/arnely not opening? Or what other things should I look at(water pump, fan clutch has been changed)

2. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    I had a similar overheating problem. My problem was a clogged radiator. The water flow was restricted so the coolant wasn't cooling fast enough.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    Is the T-stat installed in the proper direction? I've seen people do it on other vehicles. If you have good heat coming from the vents and the truck isn't over heating than i wouldn't be to worried about it.

4. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    kevinl34

Member:
    duncan s.c.
    Vehicle:
    yep I just read on here that it might be the radiator it has 200,000 miles so it might be clogged thanks

5. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    kevinl34

Member:
    duncan s.c.
    Vehicle:
    what type of radiator should I go with advance auto, auto zone, oreilys, napa, carquest and what brand have you had the best luck with? I need my trucjk asap dont want to wait on shipping if I dont have to.

6. Apr 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    Just my 2 cents, from my past experience swapping out thermostats on these engines... if it's a new OEM genuine toyota thermostat you purchased, the latest production parts from Toyota seems to run the engine around 20 degrees hotter before it starts to open up all the way to fully regulate. I only know this cause I always monitor my temps via a scangauge. Having had a 3rd gen 4runner and now my 1st gen tacoma, the scangauge over the wacky OEM temp gauge on the dash is the way to go. On both rigs (they both share the same oem thermostat part #s), the original toyota thermostat from back in the day kept the engine cool at around 180 degrees but with the latest iteration of these genuine toyota parts, they run the engine on average 200 degrees. I've read a few threads where some folks keep the old thermostat or try an aftermarket one to keep the engine at 180 or lower. Another thread a read mentioned the reason for the increase 20 degree increase was to improve some heater core issue, but not sure what that's all about.

I recommend you invest in a OBD2 digital scanguage (more expensive but newer 1st gens will allow you, as a bonus, monitor trans temp), or ultragauge (less expensive but currently does not allow you to monitor trans temp).

I also think if your temp gauge is a little above the middle mark, that is normal, it is on mine. If it's half way between the middle mark and the red, you may have a problem. On my taco, a little above the middle mark and my scangauge registers this at 190-200 degrees (normal).

At 200K on your dial it probably doesn't hurt to replace the radiator, and you also may want to read about "pink milkshakes" and possibly bypassing the radiator's built in transmission cooler if you plan to keep the radiator for a bit longer. Probably best to go aftermarket unless you have the $ to burn and go OEM, look into the KOYO brand aftermarket, I heard good feedback about that brand.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. Apr 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    kevinl34

Member:
    duncan s.c.
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the reply with 200k I think Ill change the radiator just for the fact ill know its been changed. The beck/arnely stat that I have might not be working right but I did the boil test before putting it in and it opened. I might post a picture of the vechile when it gets up to temperture to let you'll check it out...

8. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    I totally overlooked the part where you said it was an aftermarket thermostat, I see it now. Oh well, take good care of your Taco and it will last you a lifetime! It looks like your rig is in good hands now!! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top