Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Retrofit causing relay to go bad?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
T3XASMAD3 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ty
T3XASMAD3's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit causing relay to go bad?

I did a retrofit on my 01 taco about 10 months ago and havent had any trouble with it. The other day my tail lights and dash lights stopped working when i was driving so i checked the fuse and it was blown. Put a new fuse in and it did the same thing. I got to thinking it was the relay so i took it to the shop and it was in fact the relay. The guy that worked on it then told me that those "blue lights" were what caused the relay to go bad. So then today it happened again. Same exact problem. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Possibly a short somewhere? Check the wiring with the headlights if you believe that is what is causing it. I couldn't imagine the headlight wiring would interfere with the tail wiring, but, then again, I don't know how Toyota set it up..
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Not completely sure on 1st Gens but typically the headlights are on a separate fuse than the tail and marker lights. I'm guessing you have a chaffed wire somewhere causing a short. When the fuse blows, do your headlights still work?

If your retros were connected correctly, there should be very little draw from the factory wiring. Retros pull their power from another wire and only use the factory wiring as a switch.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
I would try putting in a higher rated fuse. If it's a 10 amp fuse, try putting in a 20 amp fuse and see if it still blows.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
T3XASMAD3 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ty
T3XASMAD3's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for the long delay, when the fuse blows the headlights remain on. Also i have tried going up to a bigger fuse and no luck. Ive checked the all the wiring and have had no luck... any other suggestions?