Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help with strange noise

Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
angieford86 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
angieford86's Tacoma Gallery
Help with strange noise

Okay so I posted a question a while back about a weird noise. I have taken it to two different mechanics. Both thought it was the steering rack. I had that replaced as well as the bushings for it. The noise is still there. It is really hard to describe how it sounds....duh duh duh duh duh duh. It seems like it is coming from the driver side but I could be wrong. My truck still seems to not ride as she should. I feel a lot of pull like I am chasing the steering wheel. I know I need new shocks/struts and my suspension could be fixed as well. My truck was used and abused from a previous owner. This noise is driving me crazy. I hear it the most when I am on a smooth road and going straight. I hear it both when I have my foot on the gas as well as when I am just coasting with my foot of the gas. I guess I am wondering if shocks/struts make noise when they are bad? or what else could it be? any ideas?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked the wheel bearings for wear or bluing?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Defective tire ? Try rotating them.
Sticking brake caliper?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Coast Guard:
I wish it was just the tire, i have also had a tie rod end replaced on that same side. I had a full inspection done and they said my wheel bearings were fine as well as the ball joints which was another thing I am maybe thinking it is. I just do not want to fix things i don't need to fix but I am getting really annoyed with the noise.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
OK, here's what I got... In your first post you said you need shocks/suspension work, but now a full inspection was performed and all is good. Finding a better mechanic would be my first move.

EDIT: If you want to test your shocks, "bounce" each corner of the truck to get the shock working, then stop when you got it going pretty good. If it bounces more than two times by itself, then there's a good chance you need shocks. Also listen for any noise, and look for oil leaking from the shocks themselves.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatron22 View Post
I need help!! I got a noise like there is something loose around or in my front left wheel. drives fine, but still hear it when I go 50-60mph and over little bumps. When I say lille bumps the smallest crack or bump I hear the noise. I have a 2012 tacoma. Took it to dealer, they heard it but can't figure what it is. They will look at it later for the day. Any help would be awesome in figuring what it is. Thankx in advance.
Start a new thread, don't hijack this one
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
To find out if your balljoints are bad jack your truck up under the lower control arm. Only about 1/2" to 1" high just enough to put a flatbar or big prybar under the tire if it (tire) moves up which you will be able to tell if there is slack in the balljoint. Then thats probably it but could be just part of it. It also could be your front struts/shocks also combined with the balljoint causing that noise. There is also a part on your steering wheel column under the dash that has a bolt that wears out and causes these noise's also. Just my .02 cents

Sittingbull2
Old 04-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #8

Coast Guard:
How do you check the steering column?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
strangeland is on a distinguished road
strangeland's Tacoma Gallery
is there a vibration along with the sound? i agree with the previous post on the tire issue. a tire that threw a 1.25 oz weight will buck like a bronco and make a noise like you described. have a look at the wheel weights (or lack there of) to see if theres any evidence of one getting tossed off.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #11

Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
How about some audio for the duhduhduhduhduh you describe ??
took a recording on my phone today, had to do a video and the sound isn't great but if you listen you will hear it. i will upload it soon. i had to take about 5 videos before I could hear it in the video.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #12

Coast Guard:
how do you upload a video?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieford86 View Post
how do you upload a video?

You have a you tube account ?? If so its simple, go to your you tube channel/page & right click on the video you want to post & you'll see some options, left click on option "copy embedded (something something) at current time" After you do that come back here & in your next post just go anywhere in the frame , right click again & you'll see a "paste" option, left click on it & your done... very easy . except these clowns around here let me stumble around for about a year before I figured it out haha..