LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tread wear problem

Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

Name: Matt
04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Tread wear problem

I have a 2004 tacoma with 131k. I have been putting a lot of miles on it lately and I noticed the inside of my front tires are choppy. Like one Lug is worn down while the next one isn't. These are my winter tires on stock rims with stock tire size. What could be the cause of this? I have heard allotment but it was in the dealership about 2 moths ago and they do a free alignment for me. Please help!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check the pressure, and make sure you are rotating them at the required time.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
This is feathering or cupping.

Many causes. It can indicate worn suspension components. It can indicate an alignment issue. I may indicate nothing at all...some tires just do it. The sumitomo tires I have on my Corolla right now are shit, and cupped all to hell. But, they've got half tread left so I'll just be putting up with it for another couple years.

Regular air pressure checks, rotations, keeping your alignment in spec can help. If you happen to just have a tire that's gonna do it, there's naught for it but replacement or deal with it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
The bad thing is they are directional. I can only go from front to back. Think I should get them balanced or the alignment checked out? I'm taking them off next week and putting my summer rims and tires on. I don't want to ruin my summer tires if I can detect a problem now
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Ya suspension is 5 months old. King coil overs. When I have time ill have a shop do the alignment. Another super dumb question, does the alignment change with tires and rims?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Getting them balanced may help with vibration or road noise if you're having any issues with that.

If you're not having any NVH problems from them I would just keep doing what you're doing. Tire wear is affected by a lot of things; wheel model, suspension, maintenance, air pressure, your local roads, your driving habits, luck, and on and on...

Best thing is to run your tires until you have a reason not to. None of them are perfect, and all of them cost money.

Edit: Alignment is not affected by wheel model, but tire contact patch, balance, and deformation during use all may be. Again, this is a complex subject. Are you actually having a problem with the tires, or does the tread just look funny to you?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #7

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
That's a very good point. Thanks for the help guys. For alignment do you think the dealership is the way to go or go to a local tire shop to do it. I just want it done right and not have to wonder in a 16 year old kid is attempting to align my truck
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Poser Truck

If you have aftermarket suspension components, dealerships will often go crosseyed if you ask about alignment.

Best is to shop around your local shops, and ask to talk to the tech. You can get a pretty quick sense of whether or not they know what the fuck they're doing.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #9

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Jandrews thanks man I overlooked that the dealership runs when they see aftermarket stuff. But thanks guys when I get home next week ill up date to let every one what's going on
Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
Zooriver is on a distinguished road
Zooriver's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same problem! I replaced my struts and coils and no more problems