Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Squirrely feelin steerin

Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Squirrely feelin steerin

Ok so for quite some time now, my truck has had an issue with the steering wheel shaking and feeling loose at random times.

Up at 50-55 it will shake a little and feel loose sometimes. Driving it today around 65-75 on the highway, it has shaking pretty bad, but had a really weird feeling to it. The wheel just feels like there is so much play at that speed, it scares me a little. And then on the way back going 65-70, it was no where near as noticeable.
Dafuq is up with it?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Rack bushings, and or tie rod ends. Just went through all that. Energy suspension rack bushings fixed mine.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
Just like Taco Tx said above me. I had the same thing that your describing it was the tierods, Now I had one outside tierod bad but 2 inner tierods bad also which are inside the steering rack and I also had one bad upper balljoint also that was bad. I had a bad leak in my steeringrack so I bought a new one for about $265 and replaced it myself because the rack comes with inner tierods. I also replaced the 2 outter tierod ends about $21.00 a piece. And replaced the upper balljoints also.Then I replaced the front struts with 5100 Bilsteins adjustable. Now it rides like new nice and tight and no wandering all over the road.

Sittingbull2
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks, Ill have to look at my bushings and the other stuff. I didn't think they would be the problem at 88,000.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I would highly suggest that you check your lower ball joints as well , my dr. side lower pulled out of the cup allowing my LCA to drop about a foot coming to rest on the ground... 30 mins earlier I was going 70mph on freeway, think if it would've happened then.....
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I would highly suggest that you check your lower ball joints as well , my dr. side lower pulled out of the cup allowing my LCA to drop about a foot coming to rest on the ground... 30 mins earlier I was going 70mph on freeway, think if it would've happened then.....
I checked my drive side one by jacking up the lca and placing a crow bar under the tire, it didn't appear to me that there was any movement.

Could this be an issue of wheels not balanced correctly? I have some American Racing Baja wheels, I am pretty sure they have a 108mm bore. Could this cause the vibrations?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
rzgkane is on a distinguished road
rzgkane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Ok so for quite some time now, my truck has had an issue with the steering wheel shaking and feeling loose at random times.

Up at 50-55 it will shake a little and feel loose sometimes. Driving it today around 65-75 on the highway, it has shaking pretty bad, but had a really weird feeling to it. The wheel just feels like there is so much play at that speed, it scares me a little. And then on the way back going 65-70, it was no where near as noticeable.
Dafuq is up with it?
Replaced my original struts (2000 PreRunner with 160K on it) and rack bushings and my truck went from exactly as you describe to tight as a drum. I think one strut was entirely shot and I know the rack bushings were allowing a good 1/2" of play in the steering. For $250, the truck is like new.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
crazybrother is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
crazybrother's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guy's I have a different problem, I have some play in the steering wheel but it's not anything down below. Mine is up top. I can hold the steering colum with vise grips and there is some play in the wheel, so my question is: Are there any parts that can fail or come loose up inside the cab? I.E. the tilt or some bushings??
My truck is an 2003 xtra cab 4x4 with A/T everything is stock, no lift, big tires... I had two mechanics check the front end completely and they both said it's inside the cab.
Any Ideas? Also does anyone have any schematics of the steering colum? So I can look at the parts before tearing this thing apart.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
this is 100% what you're looking for: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161689
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
crazybrother is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
crazybrother's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
this is 100% what you're looking for: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161689
Thank You, I believe that is it!