Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

occasional stumbling at startup

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
bunkerboy is on a distinguished road
Army: 1/15th Infantry
bunkerboy's Tacoma Gallery
occasional stumbling at startup

Two or three times lately, my truck has run really rough when I start it, like a cylinder or maybe even two was out. I'm able to get it right just by revving the engine some, but if it happens more in the future I'd like to know what to look for.

Could it be a coil maybe? I was thinking plugs/wires at first (they're old and I need to change them anyway) but now that I think about it I'm not sure.

The truck has a butt load of miles, about 290K.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
outdoorames is on a distinguished road
outdoorames's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Possible to have a head gasket on its way out. Could be coolant bleeding off in the in combustion chamber after sitting awhile. Will clear up after a few minutes of the engine running. Keep a eye on your coolant
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
TUNE IT UP

Its way overdue anyway. Plugs, wires, air filter, pcv, etc.
If your problem is still there, then troubleshoot further.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
bunkerboy is on a distinguished road
Army: 1/15th Infantry
bunkerboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Possible to have a head gasket on its way out. Could be coolant bleeding off in the in combustion chamber after sitting awhile. Will clear up after a few minutes of the engine running. Keep a eye on your coolant

Funny thing, I noticed last week my coolant was low. Can you elaborate on this a little?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
mdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to behold
mdub's Tacoma Gallery
If you do have a bad head gasket, you may see a change in color in your coolant and may even notice visible traces of the oil in your coolant. You can also smell it in the exhaust as it will have a sweet aroma. Top up your coolant, keep an eye on it, and an eye on your temp guage. If you see a spike in your temp guage, stop driving immediately. If you do have a bad head gasket, they'll take off the top end, put in a new gasket and check the head to make sure it is flat and hasn't warped.

I'd start with a new air filter, and plugs, see if that helps. Start cheap before you get into big ticket items.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
mdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to beholdmdub is a splendid one to behold
mdub's Tacoma Gallery
One more tip/trick when you are replacing the spark plugs. When at the auto parts store, get a length of hose about 10" long or so that will fit over the head of the spark plug, where the wire attaches. When you back out the plug, your deep socket might not hold the plug and then you'll be cursing about how to get it out. If that happens take the hose and push it down on top of the plug to remove. When you put the plugs back in, you want to make sure you don't crossthread the head. So, put the plug on the end of the hose and use that to hand thread the sparkplug before you go at it again with your socket wrench.

like this.... http://www.filtsai.com/accord/spark_..._plug_hose.jpg
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub View Post
One more tip/trick when you are replacing the spark plugs. When at the auto parts store, get a length of hose about 10" long or so that will fit over the head of the spark plug, where the wire attaches. When you back out the plug, your deep socket might not hold the plug and then you'll be cursing about how to get it out. If that happens take the hose and push it down on top of the plug to remove. When you put the plugs back in, you want to make sure you don't crossthread the head. So, put the plug on the end of the hose and use that to hand thread the sparkplug before you go at it again with your socket wrench.

like this.... http://www.filtsai.com/accord/spark_..._plug_hose.jpg
OR, you could purchase a spark plug socket (of the right size) that 'grabs' on to the plug just enough.