Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tie Rod Damage? Consequences

Old 04-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
Tie Rod Damage? Consequences

Driving cross country notice some sounds and clicking coming from driver-side took it into Firestone here in Tennessee and the mechanic told me that my tie rod which you see pictured in the right encircle is getting some play In it. Was quoted 350 which includes alignment you think this is something I should take care of right now with 2000 miles to go or something I could wait I'm just afraid of a catastrophic failure...

Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Given the extent of the damage I wouldn't want to be doing 70 MPH and a tire rod give out on the highway
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
jshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Josh
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
What is the mileage in your truck? My outer tie rod ends had some play at about 155k. I drove about 8k before i changed it myself. It is recommended to change both sides if you have to do one. I paid about 43 bucks for a pair of Moogs on amazon. Took less than 30 mins to put them both on. Then got it aligned.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Given the extent of the damage I wouldn't want to be doing 70 MPH and a tire rod give out on the highway

It just started making noises and I just noticed, is it a huge risk that it could give out should I just fix it anyway? My main mechanic is not around here so I just want to make sure it's done right
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
If its the outer rod, its easy to fix yourself. Inner rod is a bitmore but also pretty easy. Check out my DIY thread for a vid.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
jshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Josh
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
When do you hear the clicking? While turning or driving straight? Highway speeds or slower?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

If the inner tire rod goes on the left side driver side and I was going 60 miles an hour would the truck crash would I lose complete control the vehicle is it really that big of a deal? My lower ball joint back in the winter stamped and caused the wheel to come off, $2200 worth of repair sense now this comes up
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

That happens at slower speeds I don't hear it on the highway at all mostly happening only when turning it's kind of a very subtle thing most people would notice it's just I've had problems before so I'm on it. It's happened in the last thousand miles traveling from New England to Tennessee