Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How much does a 1st gen, 5spd tranny weigh?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
How much does a 1st gen, 5spd tranny weigh?

My clutch is starting to make some funky noises when I engage it (the noise goes and comes). This is sounding like I will need to replace the clutch at some point not in the too distant future.

I've never pulled a tranny or done a clutch in any car/truck before, but think I'm up for the job for this truck. My main concern is the physically manhandling of the tranny - I will be doing this job on 3 ton jackstands. I'm figuring the money I will save on labor will more than offset the $80 cost to get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html

For you guys that have pulled transmissions in these trucks without a lift, what tips and tricks did you pick up? Is handling a transmission possible with one person? Whats the weight of the unit?

Also, apparently there is a need to resurface the flywheel? I know Eric the Car Guy has his own homemade method that he claims works pretty well for him using sandpaper. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my trans out 2 times now.
The trans with transfercase unit is probably around #110.
My truck is about 4-5" higher than stock and that floor jack worked fine.
I borrowed that one from my buddy last time.
I'm 5'8" and #150 and can wrestle the trans/ tcase without issue.

Resurface the fly wheel no matter what.

Go for it, if you're handy with a wrench its not a hard job. Just tedious.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
2 moderately strong guys could hold each side and drop it out without much struggle. The hardest part will be the lack of space to move around.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post

x2

I've dropped/reinstalled my auto (which I think is heavier than the 5 speed), I used that exact jack and did the job myself. Totally doable.... just tedious like Scuba said.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
x2

I've dropped/reinstalled my auto (which I think is heavier than the 5 speed), I used that exact jack and did the job myself. Totally doable.... just tedious like Scuba said.

HA! You KNOW that auto R&R is a pain in the ass, def. easier doing the manual..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post

Sweet!

Thanks guys for the input. I'm planning on doing this in the summer, when I have a bit more free time. I may just do a DIY writeup if the situation presents itself as I didn't see one here on this board.

Thanks again.

Products Discussed in this Thread