Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mounting a receiver hitch tube on Westin Sportsmans grille

Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Gipster is on a distinguished road
Gipster's Tacoma Gallery
Mounting a receiver hitch tube on Westin Sportsmans grille

Hi All,

Purchased a Westin Sportsmanship grille for my '02 Tacoma. I also traded for a Warn 8k winch. I was planning on doing a receiver hitch on the front, and using the winch at both ends. I was looking at the mount the winch came on - it was 3/16 steel and the attachment points to the frame were 1/4. The Westin grille attaches the same way. What I was considering was welding the center of a receiver hitch in between the uprights of the Westin Grille. I have an old hitch as a donor. I realize this will not be as strong as a true receiver hitch, but I don't do any heavy off roading. What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Sounds like a recipe for disaster

This. A Westin is nowhere close to strong enough for serious winching.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
I believe someone tried to use there's as an anchor point last week and buckled the grill guard.

If this is a typical brush guard, that's all theyy are rlly meant for is small stuff......they are more powerful looking than people think. Proof is there after seeing a few in low speed accidents, ppl rear ending someone with a brushguard, that vehicle bumps car in front of them......guard folds back and demolishes front end.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Gipster is on a distinguished road
Gipster's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, how about ......

Mounting the grille guard to a front mount receiver hitch? Has anyone tried the Curt front mount? I wanted to mount the receiver up a bit for approach clearance. What do you lose with the front mount receiver hitch in clearance?

Thanks

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Just take the brush bar off it looks like crap anyway