Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

01 tacoma ideas?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
rbl1994 is on a distinguished road
rbl1994's Tacoma Gallery
01 tacoma ideas?

I bought a 2001 Toyota tocoma dbl cab SR5 and TRD off road packages with the rear wheel diff. lock. 138k miles well when I get on it like to get up on the interstate it sounds like my engine is gonna blow up but it drives and runs well . when it idles it sounds like its missing but whn I turn the air conditioner on it revs up a little bit and doesn't sound like its missing anymore. any ideas of what this might be?? thank you
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, see if you could find a place that has an OBDII reader and have them scan your truck to see if it has any codes displaying. Is the check engine light on?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
rbl1994's Tacoma Gallery
No light is on . I had them check at oriellys. No codes . What else u think it could be ?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
have you checked all the minor things (e.g. plugs, plug wires, cleaned TB etc.)?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
maybe your timing is off? what rpm does it sound bad. at 138k the truck should have had belt replaced so maybe its stretched so it only causes issues at certain rpm
Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with the truck. The Tacoma is geared from the factory for low end torque/power for things like towing, and off road use. I believe the truck is a 4-speed automatic, but in my opinion though they should have made it a 5 or 6 speed for fuel economy on highway commutes.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with the truck. The Tacoma is geared from the factory for low end torque/power for things like towing, and off road use. I believe the truck is a 4-speed automatic, but in my opinion though they should have made it a 5 or 6 speed for fuel economy on highway commutes.
x2 wish they would have added at least one more gear. I have the 4 cylinder 2.7 liter and would love to have 5 gears instead of 4. OP has a V6, do they have 4 gears also?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
rbl1994's Tacoma Gallery
Plugs wires timing was all replaced . All new but when i put the pedal all the way down it has no power and sounds like its fixing to blow
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
rbl1994's Tacoma Gallery
I can't seem to find the timing belt ?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
And underpowered high revving truck? Stills sounds like a normal everyday Tacoma lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think you can see the timing belt, its covered up. but i'm a 2.7 so not 100% sure
Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
rbl1994's Tacoma Gallery
see I have the v6 3.4 or 3.8. I have drivin other tacomas like mine and it seems hey have more power. what ways could I get more power? programmer , exhaust etx. I want it to look good and sound good . and hopefully be able to hit 70 in less than 15 sec. thanks for the advise yall have really givin me