Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New clutch

Old 04-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #21
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my clutch replaced with the Marlin Crawler 1,200lbs kit
I also ordered the flywheel they sell on their site
I am very happy with and would recommend the products themselves; but, I would also recommend buying from Marlin Crawler, because they have outstanding customer service
Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #22
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Every flywheel I've taken in they say is too far gone. Not sure what their thousand dollar machines can fix when there isn't enough material...

It kind of sucks when you're counting on that machine shop to push it out in a couple hours and you find out you have to wait for a new flywheel to come in.

As I said, won't know until you get actual eyes on the flywheel. So I've learned to just replace them.
You need to find another machine shop.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #23
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Looks more like an oil filter change leak.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Looks more like an oil filter change leak.
Nah, I know for sure that's not leaking.
I'm still undecided on URD or marlin though.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rjess View Post
Nah, I know for sure that's not leaking.
I'm still undecided on URD or marlin though.
I have a marlin I am going to try to install next weekend if time permits.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i'm going to go with a marlin. it's a little cheaper and haven't heard anything negative about it.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
bonafide

anyone happen to know the rear main seal part # for the 3rz?

EDIT: i think this is right from rock auto, any of these OEM though?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5604
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #28
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
anyone happen to know the rear main seal part # for the 3rz?

EDIT: i think this is right from rock auto, any of these OEM though?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5604
I would just order from the dealership to be safe.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #29
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To do what exactly? Put material back on the flywheel?
if it's not too destroyed (cracked) they can turn it down a few thousandths to give you a fresh surface for the clutch disc.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
if it's not too destroyed (cracked) they can turn it down a few thousandths to give you a fresh surface for the clutch disc.
Yup, understood. Can do that where the surface isn't scored too deep. Got it. But when you score it too deep because you drive your clutch like you got a full race team to service it, a machine shop can't save it. Like I said, you can't add material back.

I wish I had pictures to show you. I am not kind to clutches.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup, understood. Can do that where the surface isn't scored too deep. Got it. But when you score it too deep because you drive your clutch like you got a full race team to service it, a machine shop can't save it. Like I said, you can't add material back.

I wish I had pictures to show you. I am not kind to clutches.
Haha very true. I drive like a grandpa so I've been able to resurface in the past.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #32
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
I did the opposite. I had to replace my rear main seal so I replaced the clutch while I was in there
When/if you get the flywheel machined make sure you get the step-down around the edge. There's a little lip around the edge that needs to be there.
I put in my marlin clutch mostly myself, it's not too bad.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #33
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Haha very true. I drive like a grandpa so I've been able to resurface in the past.
I've seriously started considering going to an automatic for my next vehicle.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
bonafide

I just got a new flywheel from marlin while I was at it and a new rear main. Everything came in today so that's what I'll be doing this weekend as well as adding a lift to an fj and fab up some tube doors for a 2nd gen. Hooray mod weekend!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #35

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #36
bonafide

Alright so for those of you who has done a clutch before.. Is there supposed to be a slight whine right when the clutch engages? I figured it was kinda breaking it in
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming you replaced the TOB?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #38
bonafide

Yep. Throwout, pilot, flywheel, clutch, rear main seal
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #39
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright so for those of you who has done a clutch before.. Is there supposed to be a slight whine right when the clutch engages? I figured it was kinda breaking it in
My truck has 204k on it and whines like mad (louder than the engine)
It goes silent when I disengage the clutch
I was hoping it was a noisy pilot
Replaced the entire clutch system (not cause of the whine, needed it anway)... still does it

A Toyo-Tech told me, It's my Transmission Input Shaft Bearing or Counter Shaft Bearing
He said:
If you hear whine in all the gears but 4th (4th is direct), it's the Counter Shaft Bearing
If you hear it in all gears (including neutral), it's the Input Shaft Bearing
...It goes silent when the clutch is disengaged, cause, of course, neither of those bearings are then spinning

I would bet, like me, the whine is not a clutch issue, based on when you hear it, and the fact that it's brand-new;
Sounds like a bearing might be getting worn in your 200k-Transmission
Check this out:
http://books.google.com/books?id=TsB...0noise&f=false
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #40
bonafide

let's hope it's not that. from what i've been reading and have been told its sounding like the throwout bearing.. maybe i somehow put it on wrong?
it's such a pain and hassle to take the tranny out again though, i'll prob end up paying someone to do it.