1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New clutch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sk8rjess, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    Is it a screech or is it a whine?

And all gears or just easing into first?

I know TOB is on it's way out and my clutch is still fine so I'm not happy with that one, makes noise under load and in neutral with the clutch engaged.

^if the tranny is doing it in neutral have a buddy ease it out while you're under there with a stethoscope, should help you pinpoint where exactly the noise is coming from.

2. Apr 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Huntr Pat

Huntr Pat Green Taco

Member:
    Emmett*Idaho
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7 xtra cab
    K&N,Warn winch w/combo system,3"Revtek bilsteins,Marlin Crawler Nilights LEDs fog & flood Yakima roof racks. 31'"BFG K02's
    I just installed a my Marlin crawler clutch/Flywheel and it came with a T/O bearing. Replacing carrier bearing, U joints.

3. Apr 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess [OP] IG: @whoishack

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    it changes. i need to diagnose it more tonight and call marlin.

all the ujoints are good, as well as the carrier.

i think the whine is gone, guess it was a break in.
    i did notice this morning while sitting in neutral there was a slight.. squeal? id on't even know what to call it. it's very faint but i know it's something i installed. i'm thinking the TOB

4. Apr 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    So, I've got an Exedy twin disk clutch on my Evo that makes noises really similar to what you are describing. I know on that clutch that, when it's cold, the friction material makes a howling sound as it slips against the flywheel during engagement. So, I'd say that your "break-in whine" is normal.

Also, the exedy makes a faint noise when my clutch pedal is depressed. In my case, this is due to the heavy duty pressure plate. Is that similar to what you are hearing?

Thought I'd share, just in case.

5. Apr 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    it's hard to describe, it's a high pitched, def something rotating(obviously).
    like when a pulley bearing is on it's way out, every rotation or so it'll squeak. that's kinda what it sounds like

6. Apr 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    ^That might be different that what I hear in the car... I guess just keep listening to hear if it gets better or worse!

7. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    gah. i'll call marlin when i get home from work today

8. Apr 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    I hate to point you back to the transmission, man...
    But, again, that's exactly what happens with mine while sitting in neutral
    If you disengage the clutch, does it stop? if it does, that's probably because it stops the transmission bearings from spinning
    Throw Out noise is almost always when you press in the clutch...
    You're having the opposite problem: noise when the clutch engages (AKA when the Transmission starts spinning)
    Usually, the only clutch related whine you get when it's engaged is Pilot; and I doubt it's that, considering it's new

by the way...
    Great job on the truck: looks freaking sick
    Just checked out a little bit of your build page

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. Apr 25, 2013 at 2:53 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    what you realy have to do to diagnose a leak is brake clean that shit take a mental
    note drive it look for active drops. looks more like a seep to me. judgeing by how its coming right at the bell housing I think it would have to be either rear main seal or input shaft seal of trans but online diagnosing is hard....when I do a clutch or any dealership does it genereally you mic the fly wheel resurface it replace the clutch pacs and do the rear main seal on generel principal and also the throw out bearing

10. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    History

History Active Member

Member:
    I had a shop install a clutch in a 3500 chevy I used to pull a brush chipper so sometimes it had a chipper and a full load on mulch on it (heavy). This isn't the heavy duty 3500 but the lite 4x4 so it was pushing it for that use ,especially when you have idiots driving it ( not theirs so they dont care).

I told the mechanic that if need be replace every part new ( bell housing, fly wheel, and of course seal bearings, anything that looked like potential problem) because it was cheaper than my truck being down.

One of my guys picks the truck up and brings it to my shop ( I should have changed it myself but very busy) and it has a screaming whine when the clutch is disengaged. The fkn idiot didnt replace the tob. I sent my guy back with the truck and their comment was " this truck shouldnt be used to pull a chipper ,it's not heavy enough".

Maybe, but whats that got to do with you doing your fkn job you moron.

When you have experiences like this its hard to trust people , they screw life up for everyone who tries .

Didn't add much to the thread I know , but through deduction you should figure out the problem. You should have the answer to your problem in this thread.

11. Apr 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    well it's not whining anymore. and my tranny i still don't believe is the problem. everything is shifting perfectly and it wasn't making a noise before i did the clutch. i wish i could think of a better word to use to describe the sound.
    thanks man, lots of time and $$ and learning!

the leak is fine, i replaced the rear main and that took care of that.

lol just a little venting eh. yeah i know what you mean, i HATE having others work on my truck for anything. it's bad enough when i have others align and balance my tires.

i still haven't called marlin. when i got home the sound was gone. but when i started the truck back up this morn it was back, yet after i got to work(an hour drive) it was gone yet again.

12. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Huntr Pat

Huntr Pat Green Taco

Member:
    Emmett*Idaho
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7 xtra cab
    K&N,Warn winch w/combo system,3"Revtek bilsteins,Marlin Crawler Nilights LEDs fog & flood Yakima roof racks. 31'"BFG K02's
    I replaced my carrier/center support bearing because the booth around it was crack. I figured why not it has 239,000 on it might as well.

13. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    alright guys talked to marlin.
    i didn't grease the TOB or the fork that goes on the TOB, he said that's exactly what it is. for future reference, grease that as well. if not it isn't going to hurt anything and will stop squeaking on its own.

14. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    mine was just replaced last oct and the current is still in great shape!

15. May 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM
    Twesty32

Twesty32 Member

Member:
    Im about to put my marlin kit in sunday, Did marlin say if you just put the grease on the fork and the outside of the bearing?

16. May 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    Gotta grease the splined shaft too, basically grease everything lol

17. May 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Huntr Pat

Huntr Pat Green Taco

Member:
    Emmett*Idaho
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7 xtra cab
    Yes try some Lithium grease on the forks & bearings.

18. Sep 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
  19. Nov 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    If i remember right theres a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing you should see oil leaking from but the flywheel could throw oil all over too

Products Discussed in

To Top