LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Head light problems. No high beam

Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

Name: Matt
04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Head light problems. No high beam

Hey tw here's my problem. I have a 2004 dc yota with 132k. Recently I had a shop put in hids. They worked for 4 months now. Highs and lows working perfectly. got a new kit installed cause the old one was giving me problems like not turning on half the time and one light working while the other doesn't. Now the shop just called me saying I don't have any power going to the high lights. We took everything off and put it back to stock and still no power to the highs. We got power to the column and to the relay but we have no power to the high lights. Any one know a fix or ever have this happen fuses are good and no cut works. Any help would be great!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I had the same thing happen to me and had Toyota confirm it because it was under warranty. Basically your headlight switch has a short and will need to be replaced. You should have your DRLs working, but when you pull the switch for the highlights everything goes black. The headlight requires you to break into the steering column, And I would put my money on it that the shop who did your HIDs shorted it out.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
My 04 never had dtrl but I will definitely look into it
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #4

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Any one else have any idea where to even start to check stuff? If I have power at the column and at the relay under the hood I am assuming that means I have a cut wire some where?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Check the bulb, fuse, relay... Then if all is okay, then it's the switch.
Check the terminals, at both the switch and the connector at the steering wheel stock.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ition-off.html

Might had shorted and burned the switch.
Only way to fix is to replace.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm telling you it's the switch. If it was the fuse you would not have any ability to turn on the parking lamps. If you can turn the parking lamps on and off, but your highlights go off when you pull the switch, the switch is defective.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
My low beams work just not the highs. So I will look for a new switch and the high beam indicator doesn't work either
Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #8

Like I said the switch. When you pull the switch you will not have the blue indicator light up on the dash.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #9

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Shiiiiit! That switch is 400 bucks!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #10

It's $50 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SM1112-Turn-...7ad717&vxp=mtr
Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #11

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Hey kinda an update on what's going in. Got a new switch and still nothing. Everything is new. Hids. Ballasts. Fuses are good. Relays are good. I have no damn clue on where to look or even what to do?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
A few days ago I noticed my highs aren't working on my retros either. Connections are all good. Not sure what's wrong either.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I'm at a loss. My next step is to return it all back to stock and send her to the stealer ship where ill have to cut off an arm and a leg to get it fixed than debate if I should put the hids on or not
Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #14

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
And too add to this when I pull the switch to just flash my high beams the lights go in. Not sure if they are the high beams or not but I'm completely lost at this point
Old 07-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #15

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
So here it is! My truck is all fixed up and back to stock. I talked to the guy who worked on my truck and he said that when tacos go from high beams to low beams the voltage changes between them. He said how they installed them it was only getting the low voltage side or the low beam. Guess what I have learned from this is DON'T KNOCK STOCK! And don't always think that a high end audio installer is always right installing stuff. But thanks tw for all the help!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
This just goes to show that a relay harness is one of the first things you should do when you get your retrofit done/any HID install

Good on you OP for getting it all figured out!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
SMG is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
SMG's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys,

The high beams just stopped working on my 04 TRD tonight. The lights don't work when you flick the stalk forward and there is no blue indicator. When you pull the stalk back all the way (flash) the high beams come on no problem and the indicator comes on. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eadlight_Combo

Read this. It's for an older truck, but may apply to you. Sounds to me like you have a bad dimmer switch.