Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Billies 5100 max out...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
markvfr is on a distinguished road
markvfr's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Billies 5100 max out...

Hi,

My first post, after searching for awhile on my issue. Great site btw.

I just installed the rear Bilsteins 5100s yesterday and noticed this... see pics. The shocks seem to be maxing out on the travel. There is absolutely nothing in the box (no extra weight). I had no choice but drive home 200 miles on this to get home today.

I don't know how to embed pics so here are the links.

Could you explain what/how to remedy this and what is going on? I've read something about bumpstops on here... What are they?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I have wrenching experience on motorcycles but haven't been working much on my truck.

I ordered these from Sonny at Downsouth and he didn't mention anything about bumpstops. He said they would work exactly the same as the OEM HDs. I just wanted straight OEM replacements and the 5100s were cheaper than the HD, thus thats what I got.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm a little worried.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
are you saying there fully compressed? thats what they look like to me.

bumpstops are just rubber pieces mounted to the frame to keep the axle from comming up and hitting the frame.

Make sure you ordered the right travel shocks. Looks like you may have ordered shocks too long (2wd?) for your truck.

Who put them in? were they a fight to get in? More explanation would be good.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like they are too long.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
markvfr's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the bumpstop explanation.

Yes, the shocks are fully compressed. I put them in myself. The OEMs were a bit of a struggle to get off but it wasn't a problem putting the 5100s on.

I'll email Downsouth motorsports and ask if I got the right shocks.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
markvfr's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I talked to Sonny this morning and it appears that I got the right shocks but I need an ad-a-leaf (Fabtec) to compensate for the sag and wear of the original leafs. This should get it back up to original ride height. This would also explain why I had a tough time getting the old shocks off the truck. They were under tension because of the leaf fatigue. I haul dirtbikes on my truck all the time, thus I'm not surprised I've worn the springs so much. Apparently the 5100s are an inch to inch and a half longer in the compression compared to the stock Bilstein HDs.

As to the front now... After I ad the leaf on the rear, I was going to leave the front struts at the stock clip setting since the rear should be back to normal ride height. Has anyone raised the front in this situation? A suggestion is that I raise the front to the 2.5" clip to level out the truck. Would that work?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
markvfr's Tacoma Gallery
Another solution might be that I return the 5100's and order the OEM Bilsteins HDs and combine them with the Fabtech add-a-leaf.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
sounds like your going throu alot of frustration for nothing.

Dont order an AAL for new shocks...I put billstien shocks in the rear of my truck at around 70K and i didnt have any problems. Something just isnt sounding right with your setup.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
markvfr's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
sounds like your going throu alot of frustration for nothing.

Dont order an AAL for new shocks...I put billstien shocks in the rear of my truck at around 70K and i didnt have any problems. Something just isnt sounding right with your setup.
I know! Its feeling like it. However, I just checked the shock part # and it matches with what it should be on the 5100s on the Downsouth website: "BE5-D559-TO" Drivers rear and "BE5-D560-TO" passenger rear. So, it looks like I have the correct shock, but the shock is fully compressed. So, I had a closer look at my springs and they are looking pretty "tired" ie flat! This means that they're not carying much weight. I did order an AAL as I can't really afford a whole new set of leafs ($500 a side). Will see if that helps. Like I mentioned before, I do haul stuff all the time and used to haul my 500lbs streetbike a lot a few years back and since then two 250lbs dirtbikes... its not easy on the leafs I imagine.

What Downsouth motorsports also did is, they're sending me a set of stock Bilstein HDs to see if they work better with the AAL. Sonny has been great to deal with. It just sucks, 'cause I don't want to drive the truck right now, and the parts won't arrive 'til the weekend. Ugh.

I don't know what else to do besides getting a new set of springs...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
looks like there ment to a lifted truck. you could just get some blocks, or shaqs. up to you but yeah im thinking thouse are forr a 3in lift.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
I have same problem man. I just got TSB done and then put on the rear 5100's. Since the install I have hauled my quad twice and it has been worse then before the TSB and 5100's. The leafs are now sagging and it sounds like my rear shocks are bottoming out.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Interesting. With a 4 adults in my truck, loaded tool box, large full cooler, and my boat hitched up, my truck is nowere near bottoming.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
On the rear of my truck I have more of an issue with 'topping out' the shocks than bottoming them. I get a bang or thud once in a while when one side drops over a mound or dirt or whatever. Under mine I have the TSB springs and a 1" block, AAL soon to come. I don't want to ditch my 5100s but with the AAL under there its just going to get magnified even more......
Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Interesting. With a 4 adults in my truck, loaded tool box, large full cooler, and my boat hitched up, my truck is nowere near bottoming.
lucky... Well when we meet up for "phoenix mod day" I will check out your set up.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
markvfr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Bluez View Post
I have same problem man. I just got TSB done and then put on the rear 5100's. Since the install I have hauled my quad twice and it has been worse then before the TSB and 5100's. The leafs are now sagging and it sounds like my rear shocks are bottoming out.
Yes, exactly the same. When I put the 5100s in, the rear is sitting lower now, then before with the HDs and the leafs look more saggy... Something is definitely not right. I'm surprised no one else has had this issue (beside us two), especially with how much the shocks are compressed. And this is on a 2002 TRD 4X4 with 70,000 miles on the clock... its not like its a dinosaur of a truck...

I dunno. The AAL might not arrive by the weekend, so I'm SOL for another week. Sigh.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
On the rear of my truck I have more of an issue with 'topping out' the shocks than bottoming them. I get a bang or thud once in a while when one side drops over a mound or dirt or whatever. Under mine I have the TSB springs and a 1" block, AAL soon to come. I don't want to ditch my 5100s but with the AAL under there its just going to get magnified even more......
Hmmm.....My 5100's make no such "Thump" when dropping the axel.
I have heard of this happening before, though. Personally, Im switching to the OME rear shocks when I get a job.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #16

Firefighter:
is this for the 2nd gens? im about to order the 5100s for my 96
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #17
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP.

You are driving around in a 1st gen and some of the responses regarding a TSB are coming from those with a current generation Tacoma.

Personally I would not go the AAL route and just order up some OME Dakar's for the rear. They can be grabbed for $294.38 for the driver and passenger side together from TRDParts4U. Or from Wheelers for $340 for both sides.

I have the Bilstein 5100's from Wheelers and mine look no where near as compressed as that.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #18
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
My 5100s look like this with stock height Alcan springs:

Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
NREMTP CCT
Youngunner is on a distinguished road
Youngunner's Tacoma Gallery
It has to be your springs. Sure is a lot of rust on the bottom of your rig! That probably doesn't help. I have the same part number shocks on my 03 and have no problem, even with stock springs. I went ahead with AALs and everything was great. I wouldn't settle for anything less, especially if you are hauling. I was informed that the boot faces the ground on these particular shocks, FYI.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Bing0 is on a distinguished road
Bing0's Tacoma Gallery
Overload Leaf Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
My 5100s look like this with stock height Alcan springs:

This is how mine look too except I took out the overload springs.
I have the Alcan AAL which is manufactured for Wheeler's Offroad.

I had a big debate with the installer that the OL spring needed to be removed. He countered and we left them in. I wanted the setup to be the best that it can be which in my opinion is not installed based on the opinions of technicians.
I trust engineers. I also see a red flag go up when I hear a technician say anything disparaging about engineers, ...especially when an installation decision arises.

Well I called Wheeler's and they told me that these leafs are NOT designed to be used with the overload spring installed. Yes some carrying capacity is lost but what is gained is really awesome articulation and ride quality. These are progressive leaf packs and the overload spring being in there with them is incorrect.
I went back to the shop and had the overload springs removed.
This is a perfect solution because I still don't know if I am going to need to do that anyway.

There is the real concern that the loss of bed capacity might be a problem. I found that there is a complete resolution for that issue which can be remedied by installing Timbren bump stops.
This is something I will do later on if need be.