1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ADD system malfunction, questions (been diagnosed)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98Tacoma13, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Apr 14, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    98Tacoma13

98Tacoma13 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    hey guys, first post on the board. i have a 98' taco 3.4 manual trans, extended cab.

i got the truck and 4x4 does not work, i have the add system and a manual floor shifter. we went through the entire thing today, all solenoids and relays work, switch on the diff works, vacuum lines good. there are issues at the switch in the transfer case.

here is my questions to you guys with this system or with experience. the switch inside the transfer case is not switching properly. the wiring that should run to the harness off the transfer case has been cut and the connector is gone. not a big deal, i can get some harness off a junkyard rig.

my biggest concern at this point, my manual shifter will go into 2h, 4L. it will NOT slide down into 4H for anything. is this typical when the system is not functioning properly or do you guys have no issues pulling down into 4h for example when the truck isn't running?

i have a switch on lock down, trying to figure out if i need to add a transfer case also.

2. Apr 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    bellassaiw10

bellassaiw10 Formally afroman5015

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    Sounds like theres something wrong with your transfer case

3. Apr 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    I agree with the above.
    On your set up the first thing to happen as the shifter is pulled back is engagement of the front drive shaft. There is a syncro on the case to allow this "at speed". If you can't move the shifter, the ADD system is not in the game yet.

4. Apr 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    98Tacoma13

98Tacoma13 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    thanks for the feedback. picked up a transfer case and good sensor last night for only $80. shifts good, excited to get one so cheap. all the others i found on CL were over 3x the cost.

Products Discussed in

To Top