Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Towing and Recovery

Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
tr0gd0r is on a distinguished road
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tr0gd0r
Towing and Recovery

I just got a 99 Tacoma and it does not have a receiver hitch installed. I dont ever pull any trailers but would like to be able to pull other people out of the snow or stuck off roaders. I would also like to have a place to allow another truck to pull me out in case I get stuck. I know the truck has a tow hook in front, but is there anywhere in back to connect a tow strap? If not is there an easy way to add one without shelling the cash out for a receiver?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Get a hitch....it'll be much safer and better for your truck.

You could get an aftermarket rear bumper with a hitch in it and d-ring tabs, but that'll be much more expensive than buying a regular aftermarket hitch.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Get a hitch....it'll be much safer and better for your truck.

You could get an aftermarket rear bumper with a hitch in it and d-ring tabs, but that'll be much more expensive than buying a regular aftermarket hitch.
I gotta agree with him on this one. The only place you could really attach a recovery strap without a hitch would be around one of the frame rails or the spare tire. Neither one is a good option. Maybe you can find a hitch for your truck in a junk yard--that'll keep the price down.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
tr0gd0r is on a distinguished road
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tr0gd0r
The bumper is rated for 3,500 pounds. Could I some how connect a strap to it?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
Possibly put a ball into the hole in your bumper, and put the strap around the ball.............
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
The bumper is not a good idea. Most vehicles you're gonna be yanking on are gonna weigh more than 3500lbs plus the weight/force of whatever they're stuck in (mud / snow).

Don't take any chances and destroy your rear bumper/brackets.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Not a good idea... The strap will slide off the ball.
Great Googly Moogly then.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
check ebay, and also places like u-haul and tractor supply............they sell hitches at pretty good prices, and using a hitch is the safest way..........and you can buy a tow hook or shackle for the receiver.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
if you ever plan on getting a steel rear bumper this is the time. think about once you catch the mod bug, will you want a steel bumper? if so might as well do it now! it's worth it imo.