Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

97 tacoma hard to start at running temp on warm days

Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
MamaCheeka is on a distinguished road
MamaCheeka's Tacoma Gallery
97 tacoma hard to start at running temp on warm days

I've been following the feeds on this issue and so far, i have had no luck finding a solution.

I have a 97 3.4 4wd tacoma.

Does not over heat. Does not throw code. Starts fine when cold. starts fine in winter when at running temp.

DOES NOT want to start when at running temp on warm days.

I have replaced MAF, Throttle body sensor, crank shaft sensor, plug wires, plugs, and 1 of 3 coil packs.

I am now curious if there is a heat soaking issue. I have run a volt check on the starter and its clear....

REALLY NEED AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL CONGESTIONS!!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I had this same thing happen on my 94 Toyota. It may be one of two things. The cold-start sensor, or the cold start injector. I can't remember the actual name of the sensor/injector. The sensor senses the temp of the engine. When cold, it sends additional gas to the motor via the cold start injector for starting...kind of like a choke.

More than likely one of the two are bad. My 94 would start perfectly when it was cold, but once it was warm, it would act like it was flooded. It would eventually start, but either after alot of cranking or after sitting for about 15 minutes. I could usually roll start it if I was on enough of a slope and didn't crank it at all.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
I will definitely check that out!!!

appreciate your input!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Is it cranking fine but just not starting? Or is it having trouble cranking?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
cranks fine, just wont start
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Copy.

I had a similar problem and it was a dirty MAF. But I see you've already been there/done that.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
i'd say check the engine coolant temperature sensor. not exactly the same conditions as me when my ect went bad, but similar enough that it's something to look into if you're out of ideas for now