Bort to be alive
up on1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Gene
up on1's Tacoma Gallery
Speedometer stopped working even after replacing speedometer cable

Truck information:
1995 Toyota T100
3.4L V6 2WD 5 speed manual transmission

The speedometer stopped working at 316,906 miles but before it broke it the speedometer needle was bouncing a little. I thought for sure it must be my speedometer cable so I bought one but I was wrong. I hooked a cordless drill to the old speedometer cable where it screws into the transmission and the drill was able to make the speedometer read 10 miles per hour even after having a weak charge. I was going to return the new speedometer cable but while I was there I changed it anyway. Now I need to find what else is causing my speedometer to not work. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
JudoJohn is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
JudoJohn's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a gear in speedometer itself is bad. get a new speedo from the junkyard.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
replace the speed sensor in the transmission
Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
I concur.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
JudoJohn is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
JudoJohn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if he has a cable, it is not electronic. I think it does not have a speed sensor.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think he (and I) meant speedo gear thats inside the transfercase behind the rear output flange.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
I think he (and I) meant speedo gear thats inside the transfercase behind the rear output flange.
this except he has a 2wd and therefore doesn't have a transfer case
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #8

Quote:
this except he has a 2wd and therefore doesn't have a transfer case
Fine. Tail housing of the transmission. That's what I get for not using my reading comprehension skills.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Bort to be alive

up on1's Tacoma Gallery
Turns out my ADAPTER ASSY, SPEEDOMETER CABLE is broken.
Part: 38770-34010
Attached Thumbnails
Speedometer stopped working even after replacing speedometer cable-83770-34010.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Bort to be alive

up on1's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what part looks like off my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Speedometer stopped working even after replacing speedometer cable-83770-34010.jpg