Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

add a leaf or block kit?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
allen1992 is on a distinguished road

Name: allen
allen1992's Tacoma Gallery
add a leaf or block kit?

i have a 99 tacoma and my truck is 1 1/2 inches taller in the front than the rear. I was looking at block kits and add a leaf kits. If i got with a add a leaf should i get the one add a leaf or the 3 pack add a leaf. i really dont want to go more than 2 inches in the rear because i want my truck to sit level. If you guys have any input on this id love ot hear it!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Blocks are junk.

The 3 leaf progressive AAL will ride better than the singe AAL.

But go with what your budget permits.

Just make sure you avoid blocks..........
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
^ What he said
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
3 leaf AAL > single leaf AAL but a single leaf is better then the blocks. I don't recommend blocks to anyone. Most people use them and have them with no problems.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
the basic add a leaf is close in price to the block also since you won't need new u-bolts for one extra leaf.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #6

Ok thanKs Ill probably go with the 3 leafs
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #7

i have been looking online awhile now and i cant seem to find a 3 pack for my year tacoma i can only find 05 and newer and mine is a 99. Do yall know any websites with a 3 pack that lifts 1.5 to 2 inches?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
heres a 1.5"
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/s...ion-Pack-.html
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
yep, the Icon 3 pack is good for all years of the tacoma
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
wheelers progressive aal with the extra 1mm leaves (10 more bucks) totally worth it
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen1992 View Post
i have been looking online awhile now and i cant seem to find a 3 pack for my year tacoma i can only find 05 and newer and mine is a 99. Do yall know any websites with a 3 pack that lifts 1.5 to 2 inches?
Wheelers carry the 3-leaf AAL pack for the 99's. I installed a set.
They came with longer u-bolts, but I didn't use them since I removed the overload leaf.

Don't completely rule out blocks. Its a mod that everyone loves to put down, even those that have no experience with them, and are just aping what someone else said. Sure, it is at the bottom of the list for lifting the rear, but it does work. I ran 2.5" blocks on my '84 rock crawler for 15 years, and ran the Rubicon, backwards and forwards about 10 times with them, and had no problems. Just don't use aluminum ones, and make sure the u-bolts are very tight before each trip. The knock on them, is they increase axle-wrap.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #13

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post

The knock on them, is they increase axle-wrap.
exactly...why add blocks to your suspension when you can spend the same amount of money on an AAL that will increase your suspension performance.

I have always found the idea of adding solid steel blocks to your suspension an asinine idea.

Blocks also cause more direct torque to the center of the leaf packs, and can lead to broken leafs.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
1999 4x4 V6 SR5
3phase is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
3phase's Tacoma Gallery
I just got two quotes from Les Schwab one with an add a leaf and the other with the block and the add a leaf was actually cheaper.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #15
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
If your budget allows it get coils and new leafs pack, my truck rides better now than when it truck was brand new.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #16

i am actually thinking of going with the all pro complete rear suspension kit with new leafs bilstein 5125 shocks and comes with rear break line and everything for $509.00

Check this out and let me know what yall think and if you have this set up or seen it before. https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...suspensionkits
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen1992 View Post
i am actually thinking of going with the all pro complete rear suspension kit with new leafs bilstein 5125 shocks and comes with rear break line and everything for $509.00

Check this out and let me know what yall think and if you have this set up or seen it before. https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...suspensionkits

thats a good price. Go for it.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #18
Guy
neegdogdig is on a distinguished road

neegdogdig's Tacoma Gallery
any pack of aal is good for your truck just stay away from blocks.
blocks are worthless, they kill your leafs.
i have try most of the aal but nothing satisfied me better than a set from tough country.