1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headers Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by westonNC, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Apr 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    westonNC

westonNC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    weston
    NC
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5
    Magnaflow Muffler, Oversized tailpipe
    New to modifying my 98 sr5 4wd. want to start by redbuilding exhaust. The guy who did some of my exhaust work says the best header deal he can do is a doug thorley header, $950 parts and labor. I was wondering what you guys thought about the price/labor, and if I'm getting ran over. Any other suggestions or name brands? Thanks

2. Apr 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I have TRD headers on my 2000. They were on it when I bought it. From the dealer they are about $1500 alone. Installation can be a pain because of limited space. Look up doug thorleys on price and how long is he expecting installation to take?

3. Apr 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    westonNC

westonNC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    weston
    NC
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5
    Magnaflow Muffler, Oversized tailpipe
    i looked up price, i can get a doug thorley header for 425 from the manufacturer, i just dont know how long its supposed to take to install one, or how long my exhaust guy is planning to take

4. Apr 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I put the TRD headers on my Taco. If I remember correctly, I think Thorley made the headers for TRD. Also, it took me about 4 to 5 hours to put them on myself, but that was taking my time to make sure I did it right. I finagled the factory Y pipe out instead of cutting it apart, so that took me a little longer too. I had to take time to go get the new flange welded onto my cat that the collector bolts to. Just figure on a day if you do it yourself. It is not too bad with most of the right tools. I say that, becuase some of the exhaust nuts are in tight quarter and you won't be able to torque them unless you have a crow's foot, and even then I am not sure you will have access. I know on one or two I just tightened them down pretty tight by hand and guessed the torque.

Products Discussed in

To Top