Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Intermittent CEL PO171 &174

Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Snafu is on a distinguished road
Army: forward observer, 2/39th infantry
Snafu's Tacoma Gallery
Intermittent CEL PO171 &174

2005 v6 tacoma. Have been plagued for month's with intermittent CEL light that no dealership could trace or cure. Symptoms include very rough idle when hot and not moving, erratic take off from stop sign and even dying one time and reluctantly starting. $180 for bank one sensors and much pain installing the one closest to the firewall--- wrong wild ass guess. One dealer said it was due to the gasket for the mass air flow sensor, so they installed a new one -reset CEL. Made 30 miles before CEL reappeared. New stealership checked fuel pressure and it was 35 and should be around 41. They had no parts and $980 installed for fuel pump seems bloated. nice website.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
P0171 and P0174 are for fuel system lean. That means the computer is reading the incorrect level of oxygen content in the exhaust. Since it is BOTH banks that are affected, the highest probable cause is a vacuum leak. This is not a guarantee mind you, but the highest likelihood. The only way to properly diagnose these codes is to know what the actual readings are for both banks, short term AND long term. Without that information you will be just throwing parts and hoping to get lucky. Can you get this data?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Snafu's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel pump maybe?

Have records of five different CEL.
1 2 3 4 5
STfuel trim 3.1 (.8) 0 7.0 3.9
st fuel tr2 3.9 0 0 (.8) 3.9

ltfueltri 37.5 37.5 35.2 36.7 35.2
ltfueltri 2 35.9 35.2 31.3 39.1 29.7
Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Short term fuel trim is not really the numbers to concern yourself with. They are a quick response to current stimuli. The Long Term is where the information is at unless you are doing active testing. Numbers that high on your long term trim are SCREAMING vacuum leak as a likely cause.

That being said, a vacuum leak can be internal or external. An example of an internal vacuum leak is a stuck EGR valve. (While this would not typically cause a fuel trim lean condition, it can affect the calculations due to the fact that a leaking EGR valve allows unmetered air into the engine) Also a bad PCV valve can cause erratic fuel trim as this is also unmetered air. Basically ANY air that enters the cylinder that is not either expected (In the case of a properly operating PCV valve, or EGR valve) or measured by the MAF sensor, is considered unmetered, and a possible source of incorrect fuel trim readings.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't already tried it, you might clean your MAF sensor, using special MAF sensor cleaner.

Are you running a TRD, K&N or other washable filter?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

have you tried posting in the 2nd gen forum?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
mark1257 is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
mark1257's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with my 2005.
I changed the MAF and the dealer diagnosis "twice" was the fuel ratio sensors.
The problem is the fuel pump!!!!!
The real problem is the filter/screen attached to the pump,its flat and small.
I don't know if you can just buy the screen.
I bought a denso fuel pump kit from advance auto parts for just over $100.00,its a pump and filter. Easy to change.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Snafu's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Thanks Mark. Gonna do it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did the same over the weekend. I think it is the pump. But after doing all the routine changes. I'm seemingly back to normal. I will drop the fuel tank and swap out the pump just to be sure. I mean, It has a little over 135k on it with no filter change or pump.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Reason I found this thread was I decided to search some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
If you ever drive in dust I'd highly recommend sending your oil to Blackstone for testing with that K&N filter. I have yet to rip the head off my engine but judging from all the crap my K&N let through into my maf I suspect the crud helped score the heck out of my cylinders.

I only run Wix paper filters now, but the damage is already done and my synthetic oil looks like metallic flake spraypaint with a thousand miles on it.

I went through some FL dusty roads. My K&N was clogged beyond anything I had seen before. I pulled it out and there was a fistfull of sand in it. the intake itself had the same. My engine was loosing power and stuttering badly. Oil was BLACK and dirty, (Mobil 1 5w 30) - Changed the Oil filter, oil and intake K&N filter out for all new ones. 2500 miles since wednesday of last week and all is seemingly fine again.

Well, that is, without pulling half my engine apart. I can hit the acelerator hard and not bog down and loose power. No more tossing codes.

Quote:
P0174 - Powertrain
System too Lean (Bank 2)

P0171 - Powertrain
System too Lean (Bank 1)
I was really worried not knowing what the real issue was. I had found wood chips/ bark in a couple of my gas cans. The neighbor had been vandalizing my truck and property for a few months now when he gets drunk . I was really fearing the worst. I still want to drop the gas tank, check out the filter foot on the gas pump. Then, possibly install a new performance pump since I will have to when I get the SC anyways.