Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

arb bumper suspension review

Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
camt10 is on a distinguished road
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
arb bumper suspension review

My truck was recently hit in front,going to change was thinking arb,not putting a winch. I've heard the weight is too much for stock suspensions I have stock height and heavy duty bilsteins ,so looking for reviews people who have tried ,with stock setups/ results.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Heavy duty bilsteins?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
Heavy duty for stock height,bigger than OEM billsteins
Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend Old Man Emu 882's with OME Nitrochargers

Wheelers Off-Road and Downsouth Motorsports both sell them.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
No 5100s for lifted trucks,mine stock height,yeah have read about the heavy duty springs,trying to see if its worth putting on arb,maybe,ill go another brand,lighter.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Heavy duty bilsteins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmick View Post
5100s??
TRD OR stock bilsteins are of the "HD" series

OP it's more the coils you'd have to worry about, since they hold the weight of the truck. Stock coils are very light and sag even without weight; adding an ARB might not be the best idea.

on top of the fact that you have a first gen, which probably has some sag in it already
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
The stock bills were definately smaller.I was just trying to get an idea without putting in diff springs with diff spring rate.I just liked the look of arb not going off road I'm close to nyc so other than climbing some taxis.not much here locally.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
David411 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid411 has a spectacular aura about
David411's Tacoma Gallery
I've got King 700LB springs on mine, wouldn't run anything else.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
Are those for stock height
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
He probably don't realize you are a first gen, you rarely see 1st gens run 700 pounders.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
David411 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid411 has a spectacular aura about
David411's Tacoma Gallery
No I am running a first gen.
Why do I love them?
I got a full 3" of lift with 3/4" of preload.
Didn't have to preload the hell out of my coil springs in comparison with 650Lb and 600Lb springs.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If for some reason you want to remain at stock height (and simply want to avoid going lower than stock), you can try springs from a 2nd gen, preferably the progressive-rate ones from TRD Off Road.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
Only reason wanting to stay stock height,I just replaced shocks for stock height before accident,can't see changing them
Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
tperkins is a name known to alltperkins is a name known to alltperkins is a name known to alltperkins is a name known to alltperkins is a name known to alltperkins is a name known to all
Name: Travis
tperkins's Tacoma Gallery
Question regarding putting on an ARB bumper on 1st generation Tacoma:

Recently, my friend was hit by a picker truck that backed into him, it bent his bumper a little bit. Luckily for both of us, he is getting a new bumper and I am getting his old bumper.

At this time, I have stock springs, shitty Monroe struts with the 3" revtek lift kit.

I would like to get a little more lift as my front end sits a bit low, and putting on a 90lb bumper will not assist with that. What are my options?

I was thinking Bilsteins 5100's with OME 882 springs. Would this still achieve the same lift as the revtek with the ARB bumper?

Thank you in advance for your time.

OP, what did you end up deciding*? (I know you are still stock ride height)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still waiting for ins check,lol I'm probably going to pull my 1 month old hd bilsteins sell them and put 5100s and IME springs and rear leads,I like the look of the arb,relentless looks good too but I don't wana wait 4 months if someone made a bumper that looked like those and didn't weigh 100# is go for that don't wana go back to stock.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by camt10 View Post
My truck was recently hit in front,going to change was thinking arb,not putting a winch. I've heard the weight is too much for stock suspensions I have stock height and heavy duty bilsteins ,so looking for reviews people who have tried ,with stock setups/ results.
I was in the same situation... my truck a TRD Limited 4wd was hit... I choose (due to timing) to get an ARB.
When it was mounted... my truck was serverly drooping downwards.
It was that way, until i replaced them with Donahoe (ICON predecessors).
and adjusted them to get them close to level.

So what to do, if you want ARBs, get the ICON/FOX/etc or OME 882 or 883.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
camt10's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried using ome 883 springs with bilstein hd's