Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Satoshi grill insert

View Poll Results: Let me know what you think?
Like 17 80.95%
Dislike 0 0%
Should have stayed with OEM Grill 1 4.76%
Looks bad ass! 5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
2004TacomaNavy is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aircraft Maintenance Chief
Name: Brian
2004TacomaNavy's Tacoma Gallery
Talking New Satoshi grill insert

Just got done installing my new grill mesh, 4 hours and a lot of cutting/ shaping and trying to figure out where to drill the holes for the zip ties. Powder coated gun metal grey.
It turned out better than I thought it would.

As a note to those who are going to try this install, do NOT tighten any zip ties until you have them all started. That way you can still lift and move the mesh around to get the next zip tie in place as you work your way around.
Attached Thumbnails
New Satoshi grill insert-grill1.jpg   New Satoshi grill insert-grill2.jpg   New Satoshi grill insert-grill3.jpg   New Satoshi grill insert-grill4.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good OP. You should do the triangles too though
Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

I agree, I think I will. I just wanted to get the main piece done and enjoy it for a week or two and to get all of your wise opinions.

Stupid question time...What does OP stand for?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Original Post(er)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #5

Nice build on your truck!
I know what you mean about the cost of stuff like a lift, I am trying to do the same.

I did find out after talking to a 4X4 shop about the Fabtech 3.5" lift I want and getting a price of $1,200. for coil overs in front, new shocks rear, add a in back that I can save almost 1/2 the money getting it online through ebay or other web sites.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. which command are ya at up there?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
bhit426 is on a distinguished road

bhit426's Tacoma Gallery
sorry. i meant to click like! looks good!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck and a very clean install! I really like the pattern of the mesh.

1) Where did you go to get the material?

2) Did you do the PCing yourself or have a pro do it?

3) Do you plan to badge it up with something or keeping it as is?

Job well done.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #9

BigOly,

1) I got the mesh from Custom car grills.
http://customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=56

2) I did everything myself after gathering all the information I could find about other installs. Nothing like a good 90 degree grinder
I used card board to get the correct shape of the metal insert before I did any cutting. ....actually, I did have a pro install it, ME!

3) I think I will leave it the way it is, I like the clean look.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

Navy: 24 years Active Duty
Name: Frank
smuook's Tacoma Gallery
I like your mesh. I would paint behind it flat black. Simple logo can still look clean, but if you like as is, the keep it that way... Looks good imo.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I really don't get these altercations...

what function does this altercation offer to it's owner

just another TW bling ego thing ?

What makes muh junk stand out...
is not what it looks like... but what its done...
will do... and where few others have been.
once there... image seems of little interest.

zip ties suck btw... they dry up and get brittle.
got to be a better, more durable/permanent method
of altering these grills !?

Anyone use a different method then zip ties ?

Anyone install this insert thingy using a plastic welder ?
^ if the grill's plastic could be ?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #13

I will take some pics of the back side of the grill today and post them.

I got the 16"X48" size so I knew I would have plenty of material.

I did use zip ties and I know they will get brittle over time. I have found two plastic products that will allow you to adhere plastic together for two different applications.

The first product, Plasti-Mend Black 4oz, https://plasti-mend.com/cart/index.p...&product_id=79
The picture of the product is just a stock pic. and makes it look like there are three cans but you have to pay attention to the quantity on the description.
I have used this product and it works great for bonding plastic or filling plastic cracks or holes. It's fairly thin/liquid that starts to set up or skin over very quickly due to quick evaporation of solvents. I will be using this to adhere tabs that I am going to make so I can get rid of the zip ties.

The second product, PlastiFix, http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix/ can be used to secure the mesh to grill permanently without worrying about getting brittle and cracking. After you bring up the web site, look on the left side of the web site for the Information and Instructions blue section, find and click on the "Videos" at the bottom. Next, go to the second page of the videos and click on the first video at the top. It shows the best way to make tabs and use the plastic powder to bond plastic material together, like grill mesh to a grill. I haven't used this product yet, I will be buying it next month.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #14

Back of Grill pics

Here are the Pics of the back of the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
New Satoshi grill insert-grill5.jpg   New Satoshi grill insert-grill4.jpg   New Satoshi grill insert-grill3.jpg   New Satoshi grill insert-grill1.jpg   New Satoshi grill insert-grill2.jpg  

Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job. Been wanting to undertake this project for a while but was hesitant to do so. This looks like a simple way to accomplish the satoshi look without going the fiberglass and bondo route. Thanks for posting and providing the links to the plastic products.

So it looks like after you cut out the center section of the grille there was enough material left for you to drill through in order to attach your zip ties, correct?

PS: Thanks for your service
Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
I guess I really don't get these altercations...

what function does this altercation offer to it's owner

just another TW bling ego thing ?

What makes muh junk stand out...
is not what it looks like... but what its done...
will do... and where few others have been.
once there... image seems of little interest.

zip ties suck btw... they dry up and get brittle.
got to be a better, more durable/permanent method
of altering these grills !?

Anyone use a different method then zip ties ?

Anyone install this insert thingy using a plastic welder ?
^ if the grill's plastic could be ?

Increasing air flow and improving heat transfer through the radiator seems pretty functional to me.

Zip ties are plastic and don't dry out. They get brittle when exposed to prolong UV, which isn't an issue with a recessed grill. I'm not sure how you can say they aren't durable.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuook View Post
Zip ties are plastic and don't dry out. They get brittle when exposed to prolong UV, which isn't an issue with a recessed grill. I'm not sure how you can say they aren't durable.
Sorry didn't intend to offend the Zip Tie guru's

I use a few zip ties in the engine bay.
None are in the path of UV, sunlight or any light for that matter.
Yet after a year or so... most any zip tie I touch breaks.
Possibly from the heat in the engine bay !?

But this has occurred at the underside of the chassis as well.
and that area is not subject to UV either

Guess I'm just purchasing low quality zip ties
Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #18
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen stainless steel zip ties, can't remember where though.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
Daily Driver "Plus"

smuook's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not saying that zip ties are the be all end all, but for light weight applications they hold up pretty well from my experience.

Hmmmmm... Stainless zip ties... Learn something new every day. Just Google it and they aren't as expensive as I thought either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-GOLIATH-I...item565541071c
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #20

When I started this project and started cutting I just cut the bare minimum so I could see with the center section removed, what I had to remove next keeping in mind that I didn't want to cut or remove any material that I would need to put a hole into and use the zip ties on.