1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Satoshi grill insert

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2004TacomaNavy, Apr 17, 2013.

?

Let me know what you think?

Poll closed May 17, 2013.
  1. Like

81.0%
  2. Dislike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Should have stayed with OEM Grill

4.8%
  4. Looks bad ass!

23.8%
  1. Apr 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    2004TacomaNavy

2004TacomaNavy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    All Pro rock sliders, U-Bolt flip kit, Shock mount relocation tabs, All Pro Billy 3" lift front and back, 2014 Tundra Bed Rail tie down system, Fuel 17X8.5 Wheels on 32's, LED front light bar, Raptor style grill W/lights, Tinted Headlights w/LEDs, ARB Dual Air Compressor W/ 2 Gal. Tank, Smoked Tail Lights, Double Din Sat radio w/ back-up camera, Redline Hood Struts, ARB Dual air compressor W/ 20 Gal. air tank, Sig P320C Security System!
    Just got done installing my new grill mesh, 4 hours and a lot of cutting/ shaping and trying to figure out where to drill the holes for the zip ties. Powder coated gun metal grey.
    It turned out better than I thought it would.

As a note to those who are going to try this install, do NOT tighten any zip ties until you have them all started. That way you can still lift and move the mesh around to get the next zip tie in place as you work your way around.

Grill1.jpg
    Grill2.jpg
    Grill3.jpg
    Grill4.jpg

2. Apr 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR 4X4 Quicksand
    Looks good OP. You should do the triangles too though :thumbsup:

3. Apr 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    2004TacomaNavy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    All Pro rock sliders, U-Bolt flip kit, Shock mount relocation tabs, All Pro Billy 3" lift front and back, 2014 Tundra Bed Rail tie down system, Fuel 17X8.5 Wheels on 32's, LED front light bar, Raptor style grill W/lights, Tinted Headlights w/LEDs, ARB Dual Air Compressor W/ 2 Gal. Tank, Smoked Tail Lights, Double Din Sat radio w/ back-up camera, Redline Hood Struts, ARB Dual air compressor W/ 20 Gal. air tank, Sig P320C Security System!
    I agree, I think I will. I just wanted to get the main piece done and enjoy it for a week or two and to get all of your wise opinions.

Stupid question time...What does OP stand for?

4. Apr 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR 4X4 Quicksand
    Original Post(er)

5. Apr 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    2004TacomaNavy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    Nice build on your truck!
    I know what you mean about the cost of stuff like a lift, I am trying to do the same.

I did find out after talking to a 4X4 shop about the Fabtech 3.5" lift I want and getting a price of $1,200. for coil overs in front, new shocks rear, add a in back that I can save almost 1/2 the money getting it online through ebay or other web sites.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Apr 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    looks good. which command are ya at up there?

7. Apr 18, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    bhit426

bhit426 Member

Member:
    southern IL
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 reg cab 4.30 gears
    FOX coilovers, Camburg UCA, Bilstein 5100
    sorry. i meant to click like! looks good!

8. Apr 18, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    Nice truck and a very clean install! I really like the pattern of the mesh.

1) Where did you go to get the material?

2) Did you do the PCing yourself or have a pro do it?

3) Do you plan to badge it up with something or keeping it as is?

Job well done. :)

9. Apr 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    2004TacomaNavy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    BigOly,

1) I got the mesh from Custom car grills.
    http://customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=56

2) I did everything myself after gathering all the information I could find about other installs. Nothing like a good 90 degree grinder:)
    I used card board to get the correct shape of the metal insert before I did any cutting. ....actually, I did have a pro install it, ME!

3) I think I will leave it the way it is, I like the clean look.

10. Apr 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    RyanBelliston

RyanBelliston Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Diamond Bar
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    Retrofit OEMs w/ 5000K bulbs HID 4300 Fogs Fog Light Mod LED Gauge Swap (Blue/Green/White needles) -Jerez 10'' Kenwood Subwoofer 1500W Planet Audio Amp Debadged Tinted Windows Mudflap delete AFE ProDry S intake Engage front LT 8inch Kings with 2x2 King bump stops. Strapped at 16 inches Engage 4-Link rear 16inch King coil overs strapped at 22 inches Custom Engage bumpers LED reverse lights LED license plate lights LED dome and map lights Flyzeye-Design (blue/white)
    Im looking to do the same thing. any chance you can take pics of the inside of the grill? I want to see where its all held together.

also is the 6"x36" the size we need?

11. Apr 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    I like your mesh. I would paint behind it flat black. Simple logo can still look clean, but if you like as is, the keep it that way... Looks good imo.

[​IMG]

12. Apr 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    I guess I really don't get these altercations...

what function does this altercation offer to it's owner :confused: :notsure:

just another TW bling ego thing ?

What makes muh junk stand out...
    is not what it looks like... but what its done...
    will do... and where few others have been.
    once there... image seems of little interest.

zip ties suck btw... they dry up and get brittle.
    got to be a better, more durable/permanent method
    of altering these grills !?

Anyone use a different method then zip ties ?

Anyone install this insert thingy using a plastic welder ?
    ^ if the grill's plastic could be ? :notsure:

13. Apr 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    2004TacomaNavy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    I will take some pics of the back side of the grill today and post them.

I got the 16"X48" size so I knew I would have plenty of material.

I did use zip ties and I know they will get brittle over time. I have found two plastic products that will allow you to adhere plastic together for two different applications.

The first product, Plasti-Mend Black 4oz, https://plasti-mend.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=79
    The picture of the product is just a stock pic. and makes it look like there are three cans but you have to pay attention to the quantity on the description.
    I have used this product and it works great for bonding plastic or filling plastic cracks or holes. It's fairly thin/liquid that starts to set up or skin over very quickly due to quick evaporation of solvents. I will be using this to adhere tabs that I am going to make so I can get rid of the zip ties.

The second product, PlastiFix, http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix/ can be used to secure the mesh to grill permanently without worrying about getting brittle and cracking. After you bring up the web site, look on the left side of the web site for the Information and Instructions blue section, find and click on the "Videos" at the bottom. Next, go to the second page of the videos and click on the first video at the top. It shows the best way to make tabs and use the plastic powder to bond plastic material together, like grill mesh to a grill. I haven't used this product yet, I will be buying it next month.

14. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    2004TacomaNavy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    Here are the Pics of the back of the grill.

Grill5.jpg
    Grill4.jpg
    Grill3.jpg
    Grill1.jpg
    Grill2.jpg

15. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Nice job. Been wanting to undertake this project for a while but was hesitant to do so. This looks like a simple way to accomplish the satoshi look without going the fiberglass and bondo route. Thanks for posting and providing the links to the plastic products.

So it looks like after you cut out the center section of the grille there was enough material left for you to drill through in order to attach your zip ties, correct?

PS: Thanks for your service

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  16. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list

Increasing air flow and improving heat transfer through the radiator seems pretty functional to me.

Zip ties are plastic and don't dry out. They get brittle when exposed to prolong UV, which isn't an issue with a recessed grill. I'm not sure how you can say they aren't durable. :confused:

17. Apr 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    Sorry didn't intend to offend the Zip Tie guru's :confused:

I use a few zip ties in the engine bay.
    None are in the path of UV, sunlight or any light for that matter.
    Yet after a year or so... most any zip tie I touch breaks.
    Possibly from the heat in the engine bay !? :notsure:

But this has occurred at the underside of the chassis as well.
    and that area is not subject to UV either :confused:

Guess I'm just purchasing low quality zip ties :rolleyes:

18. Apr 21, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I have seen stainless steel zip ties, can't remember where though.

19. Apr 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Apr 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    2004TacomaNavy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    When I started this project and started cutting I just cut the bare minimum so I could see with the center section removed, what I had to remove next keeping in mind that I didn't want to cut or remove any material that I would need to put a hole into and use the zip ties on.

Products Discussed in

To Top