Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Damp dirt smell w/ AC on

Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
cowboy50 is on a distinguished road
cowboy50's Tacoma Gallery
Damp dirt smell w/ AC on

01 2.7 bought used so don't know history on it. 204,000 mi. When the AC is kicked on I get an odor smells like tilled up dirt, like driving by a field that has just been disked up. The smell seems to go away after it has been on awhile. I didn't know if there might be a filter that I might have access to that needed to be cleaned or what could be causing this. It doesn't do this with the heat.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
You evaporator is probably clogged up with mud. Not sure how to get to it on an 01. Sorry
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
You evaporator is probably clogged up with mud. Not sure how to get to it on an 01. Sorry
X2 just poke something through it and clean the dirt out, if you look into your passenger wheel well close to the cab youll see a rubber nipple like thing sticking out where its supposed to drain the water out. Mine was clogged and I had the same problem
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a problem like the OP, my A/C works fine.
BUT, what is weird, is that I don't get condensate dripping to the ground, no bad smells, and I cannot find that damn drip tube. Carpet doesn't get wet.
Where could all that moisture be going?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
The evap box drain is located on the passenger-side firewall about halfway down.

In this pic it's the black rubber nipple thing (supposedly there's a 90* aluminum tubing that goes in there, but mine's missing). Just get a coat hanger or something and poke it in there... should unclog and drain your evap box.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman5015 View Post
X2 just poke something through it and clean the dirt out, if you look into your passenger wheel well close to the cab youll see a rubber nipple like thing sticking out where its supposed to drain the water out. Mine was clogged and I had the same problem
^^^not this location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
The evap box drain is located on the passenger-side firewall about halfway down.

In this pic it's the black rubber nipple thing (supposedly there's a 90* aluminum tubing that goes in there, but mine's missing). Just get a coat hanger or something and poke it in there... should unclog and drain your evap box.

^^^this location. look down from the engine bay not through the wheel well
Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtacomaTIGER View Post
^^^not this location

^^^this location. look down from the engine bay not through the wheel well
Mine was easier ot reach through the wheel well.. same location
Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
probably is. not sure what else would be dripping water
Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
cowboy51 is on a distinguished road
cowboy51's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys this is me just from home. on the condensation drain mine runs water out when the a/c is on. I will give it a try though. Otherwise I guess I will just have to live with it. Like I said before it just does it for a short time then I don't smell it anymore. I either get used to it or it stops Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy51 View Post
hey guys this is me just from home. on the condensation drain mine runs water out when the a/c is on. I will give it a try though. Otherwise I guess I will just have to live with it. Like I said before it just does it for a short time then I don't smell it anymore. I either get used to it or it stops Thanks for all your help!
Another trick you can do is remove the cowl and spray a mixture and essential lavender oil into the vents.

Lavender is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial (and anti-viral) so it kills mold and bacteria. Plus it smells divine... and it's calming.

Calgon... take him away!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
cowboy50 is on a distinguished road
cowboy50's Tacoma Gallery
If I did all that my wife would want to be driving my truck all the time. I've got access to anti-bacterial and anti- fungal chemicals where I work.They won't have quite the pretty smell. I hope I can just clean out my drip tube but like I said before it flows pretty good from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Another trick you can do is remove the cowl and spray a mixture and essential lavender oil into the vents.

Lavender is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial (and anti-viral) so it kills mold and bacteria. Plus it smells divine... and it's calming.

Calgon... take him away!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know bg makes a kit that cleans and disinfects your ac system.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy50 View Post
If I did all that my wife would want to be driving my truck all the time. I've got access to anti-bacterial and anti- fungal chemicals where I work.They won't have quite the pretty smell. I hope I can just clean out my drip tube but like I said before it flows pretty good from there.
To each their own.

I wouldn't want to inhale whatever those chemicals are.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Thtacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Timothy
Thtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing the truck has spent lots of time on our semo dirt roads. Your evap core is full of dirt and when that dirt gets wet from condensation it smells like mud. I occasionally pull my fan motor out and use compressed air to try and blow some of it out. Not sure how good it does but I sure stir up a lot of dust when I do it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Bahamayellow is on a distinguished road
Bahamayellow's Tacoma Gallery
Bg makes a good product called frigy fresh. It's really strong stuff so u spray it through the cowl with the ac on high and recirculating. Open both doors and let it clear out as is very strong. In Colorado we don't get to much mildew buildup but I use it yearly. I have never had that issue whileusing the bg product. Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamayellow View Post
Bg makes a good product called frigy fresh. It's really strong stuff so u spray it through the cowl with the ac on high and recirculating. Open both doors and let it clear out as is very strong. In Colorado we don't get to much mildew buildup but I use it yearly. I have never had that issue whileusing the bg product. Hope that helps.

This x2. I've used it as well, really freshens up the vent system.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
BrownMike is on a distinguished road

Navy:
BrownMike's Tacoma Gallery
interesting, I never realized that could get plugged up, always figured it was just the dust in my vents. after thinking about it my truck doesnt pee when the AC is on either... time to clean that sucker out!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Lone Star Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
I know bg makes a kit that cleans and disinfects your ac system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamayellow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aught2TaCO View Post
This x2. I've used it as well, really freshens up the vent system.

Good stuff. We use it all the time.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I spray Lysol in the cowl works for a while.