1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Missing counter balance weight on brake drum

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brs127s, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Apr 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    brs127s

brs127s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    My brake light has been going on and off for a few days. I figured my rear shoes were getting wore down and the fluid level in my brake reservoir was getting low. I yanked the drums off to check the shoes. I still have about half the shoe left, so I just decided to add more fluid and throw the drums back on. One think I noticed was that one of the drums was missing the counter weight that is welded to the outside of the drum. It had been there, as there was no paint where it was supposed to be and was rusty, so it has been missing for quite some time. My truck does have some vibrations for the last 2 sets of tires that would never go away or change with a balance or rotation. Is it possible the missing counter balance weight could be causing my vibrations?

It isn't the driveline either, as I had the drive shaft balanced when I had the u-joints replaced.

Products Discussed in

To Top