Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Smog Fail - OBDII not ready

Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Smog Fail - OBDII not ready

Hi guys! As the title says, the truck failed smog today because "its OBD system was not ready to test."

The tech showed me that the EVAP and CAT systems have not been reset.

He recommended the following for the next few days:
1) Drive the truck between 55 to 65
2) Allow the truck to idle and warm up before driving in the morning
3) Keep the gas between 1/4 and 3/4 tank
4) Do not turn on the A/C

The tech seemed trustworthy and has great reviews. He offered to test the OBD system before a retest. I just want to run the following by you guys to get your thoughts and make sure I do what's needed before the retest.

1) I disconnected the battery last week to clean the MAF sensor. I haven't driven the truck much since then so the drive cycle reset recommended by the tech seems like it could fix the problem. Is there anything else needed to complete the OBD drive cycle?
2) I got CEL P2238 (o2 sensor) last year two or three times and reset it each time. No CEL for the past 4 to 6 months. Could this affect the OBD test?
3) Does having an ultragauge connected prior to testing affect anything? I've disconnected it for now just to be safe.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
ttora member since 2001
scootn2nature is on a distinguished road
scootn2nature's Tacoma Gallery
without the toyota scan tool to throw it into test mode the fsm will give the speeds and time rpms to travel . I use my actron scanner to tell me obd systems are inc, ok, or n/a. Im sure some more knowledgeable people will chime in.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Partzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Don
Partzguy's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you've recently had the check engine light come on for some other reason, I'd bet the info the technician gave you was correct and will solve the problem! Last year I had the same thing happen because I had recently unhooked the battery and forgotten to then drive enough for all the sensors to reset. Just drive it for a few days under different road conditions and speeds and I'd bet it will pass the next time!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
No Money. No Love.
SmogSUX is on a distinguished road

SmogSUX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm reviving this because my ScanGauge II is saying my Tacoma is "not ready" and I need to smog it. I haven't reset any codes in awhile, though I did replace my battery terminal last week. I just finished driving the truck 500+ miles round trip (Mostly highway, but was in some city traffic too. Speeds on the highway from 50-80mph) with my motorcycle in the bed just this last weekend...any ideas on why it won't go into "ready" mode?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried disconnecting the scangauge and driving without it?

Then reconnect it after to see if the error persists.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Does the scangauge say what system isn't ready?

Before driving the truck in the morning, start the truck and let it idle until it reaches operating temp. Also, drive the truck constantly at 60 to 65 (5th gear if you're a manual) for 10 to 15 mins. These are the two things that helped set my system.