Notices

Fox coilover + lift block?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Fox coilover + lift block?

Hey all, I am looking to purchase some fox 2.0 coilovers soon and was wondering if I could have a 3 inch lift block on top of it to have a 6 inch lift? Would this cause any problems? Right now I have bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks in combination with a lift block, toytec upper control arms, and fabtec 6 inch lift spindles. It pretty much rides like a tank :/ I have actually blown out 3 of the bilstein shocks in two different incidences. I believe this is because I have extremely low down travel on the shock, and if I jar it hard, it makes an unpleasant sound and hard hit. Any suggestions or advice? I am looking to spend around $1,000 bucks. It is my daily driver and weekend warrior. I took it down to moab this year for the safari and took it on steel bender and golden spike and did well.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
DO NOT STACK LIFTS. If you want six inch do a drop bracket lift. But do not put a spacer lift on coilovers.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
What would be the dangers or problems from doing this? Because thats essentially what I have right now? I was considering doing a DB lift but have not heard many good things about them.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohler View Post
What would be the dangers or problems from doing this? Because thats essentially what I have right now? I was considering doing a DB lift but have not heard many good things about them.
Please tell me how you have a 6" lift on a 4x4 whitout a drop bracket???
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There's nothing good about a 6" lift at all ha but you don't want to stack lifts because as you've noticed it destroys the shocks and rides like shit... Go DB
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Buying fox coilovers and combining it with a spacer would be like buying a $300 dinner, then shitting on it.

The absolute max you should ever go on stock IFS is 3.5''. Anymore and your alignment will not be able to be corrected, and you are going to put a huge amount of stress on your CV joints.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
haha yall have made your points and I agree. Thanks for replying and giving me your 2 cents. Anyone know of any decently priced coil overs that will provide 5-6'' of lift?
I realized that this post should belong in the suspension section (I am still figuring this forum out) so here is a link to the discussion in the lift section.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ift-block.html
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
DB lifts are the only way to get 6" listen to what they are telling you
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
You Can't Fix Stupid !
Smokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Jeremy
Smokey11's Tacoma Gallery
They dont make em man, if you want that much lift you have to do a DB lift or SAS thats your two choices.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
k so I guess what I have is a DB lift. I thought that it was just upgraded cross members, but I guess thats what a DB lift is. If I want to change to coil overs only do I have to buy coil overs that give 6'' of lift? most of the adjustable ones are 0-3'' or so.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
00tbaytaco is on a distinguished road

00tbaytaco's Tacoma Gallery

You've been told 3 times. You can't lift more than 3.5 inches without a drop bracket lift or SAS. No coilover will give you 6" of lift without a DB. Why do you want 6" of lift anyway?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tbaytaco View Post

You've been told 3 times. You can't lift more than 3.5 inches without a drop bracket lift or SAS. No coilover will give you 6" of lift without a DB. Why do you want 6" of lift anyway?

Easy there canuck, he's already established what he has for lift, & why he wants 6" is of no concern of yours , just sayin'...
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
k so I guess what I have is a DB lift. I thought that it was just upgraded cross members, but I guess thats what a DB lift is. If I want to change to coil overs only do I have to buy coil overs that give 6'' of lift? most of the adjustable ones are 0-3'' or so.
If you have a 6" lift now you have a drop bracket lift, which uses a longer spindle extension thing and lowers your diff back to factory location. It is probably a stock strut with a 6" tower on it. It would be helpful to have a picture. I think I know what you are asking, and yes you can. You will replace the stock strut with a coil over shock that will give you 3" of lift (there are no coil overs that are adjustable that fit our trucks that are adjustable up to 6") and use a 3" spacer (a lift block is for the rear leafs, a spacer is for the front), which equals your current 6" lift you have now (will be the equivalent of a 3" lift on your cvs), however you have the performance of a 3" coil over lift (sort of) with the height of a 6" lift.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Stack 3" spacer and 3" body lift = 6" for you. Would I recommended it? Hell NO but if you want a cheap 6" lift w/o a drop bracket by all means. Like Mike says: if you value your truck put some value in your truck. Don't go cheap. Especially on your suspension.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
If you have a 6" lift now you have a drop bracket lift, which uses a longer spindle extension thing and lowers your diff back to factory location. It is probably a stock strut with a 6" tower on it. It would be helpful to have a picture. I think I know what you are asking, and yes you can. You will replace the stock strut with a coil over shock that will give you 3" of lift (there are no coil overs that are adjustable that fit our trucks that are adjustable up to 6") and use a 3" spacer (a lift block is for the rear leafs, a spacer is for the front), which equals your current 6" lift you have now (will be the equivalent of a 3" lift on your cvs), however you have the performance of a 3" coil over lift (sort of) with the height of a 6" lift.
Yeah that is what I was asking. Icon makes a custom ordered 6'' coil over for $1,135. Would it be worth spending this much for a full length 6'' coil over compared to running a 3'' fox coil over for $750 and use a 3'' spacer? This is what my options have come down to. I am trying to figure out if the icon 6'' is in fact a bigger shock body and coil or if it just has a longer shaft on the bottom that makes it a 6'' lift coil over.. because that would pretty much be the same as a 3'' coil over with a 3'' spacer right?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
you can achieve 6" of lift however you want, 3" of suspension lift with 3" of block lift is not dangerous in the sense that its bad because your stacking, its bad because the geometry of EVERYTHING is off.

time to drop bracket.

better yet, solid axle swap. you wont look back.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tbaytaco View Post

Maybe I want a 6'' lift so I don't get high centered like you are in your pic.. If you read the post above where you posted this you would see that I do have a DB lift.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah that is what I was asking. Icon makes a custom ordered 6'' coil over for $1,135. Would it be worth spending this much for a full length 6'' coil over compared to running a 3'' fox coil over for $750 and use a 3'' spacer? This is what my options have come down to. I am trying to figure out if the icon 6'' is in fact a bigger shock body and coil or if it just has a longer shaft on the bottom that makes it a 6'' lift coil over.. because that would pretty much be the same as a 3'' coil over with a 3'' spacer right?
you're confusing things here

They don't make a 6" LIFT coilover, coilovers only add 0-3" of lift. the 6" you're referring to is the length of the coilover

stock coilovers/shock length is 6".
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
OP take a pic of your suspension setup now, and post it up. then we'll tell you what you have.

reading your original post, it sounds like you're running a fabtec 6" with the base level equipment, stock-length shocks with the top spacer and spinde, with the drop bracket.