Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

White Smoke = Valve Guide Seals?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
DBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
DBWrecks's Tacoma Gallery
Question White Smoke = Valve Guide Seals?

I have a 1995 Tacoma XtraCab 4x4 automatic transmission with 227,500 miles. When I start the vehicle it tries to die, I then give it gas and it gets to it's regular sound/revving. However, for approximately 20-30 seconds white smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe. The interior of the cab smells of gas/oil when this happens. The more I hit the gas during this timeframe, the more smoke comes out.

I have asked a few maintenance guys where I work what they think this is and they have lead me to believe it's the "Valve Guide Seals" that are leaking. They think it's allowing a small amount of oil that's being burned off each time I start it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else think that's my problem?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
don't know about the Tacoma, but in the vehicles i've had with bad valve guide seals, i get a blue smoke for a short amount of time on startup. usually don't worry about this, i just keep an eye on oil consumption.

also it depends on what the 'white spoke' looks like. on cold mornings my vehicle has the white water vapor cloud coming out of the tailpipe, til the engine warms up a bit.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Check your air intact tube for oil. Pull it off where it conencts to the throttle body and look in with a flashlight/look at the throttle body. Is there engine oil there?

If so, replace PCV valve with an OEM Toyota one (Don't buy a cheap-o generic, OEM is only a few dollars more and is built way better.). Clean the hose, and the intake out, get a new air filter if it's soaked and keep an eye on it. gdlk.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
White smoke is coolant. Check your head gasket
Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Q Source is on a distinguished road
Q Source's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift96 View Post
White smoke is coolant. Check your head gasket
X2

Check your oil fill cap if there is a white goo you've got a blown head gasket.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
x3
Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
DBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
DBWrecks's Tacoma Gallery
It was the vaulve guide seals...I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and I have to replace the value guide seals, head gasket cover, motor mounts, front wheel bearing, 2 rear shocks, ignition, and a piece has to be welded that has come loose.

$1300 with labor kinda sucks
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I bet it will run like a top when it's all fixed though!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
My old boss has a Camry that smokes like Tommy Chong.