Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Modding Camry Ignition Light Ring

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Modding Camry Ignition Light Ring

With all this hooplah about the illuminated ignition ring figured I'd go ahead and post the solution that I found in hopes of expanding the "usable" rings.

I don't claim credit for finding this one (if I can hunt down his UN I'll give ya the credit) but these are the modifications to make a 97-01 Camry ignition ring work.

You should receive something that looks like this...

Stock and out of the box...

You'll find that the angled areas that are leading towards the light are going to interfere with with key cylinder no matter what orientation you rotate it so you want to make it look like this...

using a dremel tool. Super quick just make sure not to cut too far! There's also a little rubber grommet that covers the ring that needs to be cut as well that just keeps the light inside the ring (not pictured, sorry)

When finally installed on the cylinder it looks like...

The light is pointed near enough to 180 degrees down and fits very snugly on the lock cylinder.

After that I added a foot of primary and used leeches to connect them to the overhead light (I'll snatch a picture of that later) and then opened the door! SUCCESS!

The ring does blink if you don't have a resistor in line but just leave it on door setting and you'll be good. Enjoy your new illuminated ignition ring, I'll grab a picture of the ring lit up when it's dark!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
AhviFree is on a distinguished road
AhviFree's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure that UN belongs to me haha hope you got the black grommet with it or be prepared to mod the Tacomas. Oh, and put some shoes on lol
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
I do too!

So thanks for that bud!

I have red LEDs en route for the dash and the ring.

I'm going to hunt down a 4runner surround because I don't feel like mutilating the stock one.

And give a guy a break, had just gotten out of the shower and there was a present from USPS so I couldn't wait
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrguy View Post
And give a guy a break, had just gotten out of the shower and there was a present from USPS so I couldn't wait
so you didnt have any clothes on?

nice writeup, always hated figiting for the ignition in the semi dark.

now if only women had one of these for their hole....
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #5

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
so you didnt have any clothes on?

nice writeup, always hated figiting for the ignition in the semi dark.

now if only women had one of these for their hole....
what can I say, my neighbors always are whistling so I figured what the heck, might as well go stark and give 'em what they want. They may have gotten more than they bargained for when I had to do some freaking gymnastics to get the leeches on! Talk about getting a tan where the sun don't shine
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrguy View Post
what can I say, my neighbors always are whistling so I figured what the heck, might as well go stark and give 'em what they want. They may have gotten more than they bargained for when I had to do some freaking gymnastics to get the leeches on! Talk about getting a tan where the sun don't shine
hahahahaha, another solution would be to use a relay operated by the door switch, could make this more plug andp lay that way.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
AhviFree is on a distinguished road
AhviFree's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. What do you mean mutilate?