Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Keep you fuel tank at least 1/4 tank level?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
Keep you fuel tank at least 1/4 tank level?

In the cars i have in which the fuel pump is located in the gas tank, i try to keep the level at 1/4 or higher....the fuel helps cool the pump, therefore extending the life of the pump. Do you guys do this with your Tacos?

I do admit that I don't always do this and sometimes run on fumes before filling up....
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
in all my vehicles ive had ive always 'tried' to fill up at the 1/4 mark, butting lately my gas light has been coming on a lot and i throw a 20 in and its gone the next day
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Any car I have ever owned I have always tried to fill the tank when it dropped down to between 1/2 and a 1/4 tank. Unless i was running them on a long trip on the highway. Its always easier to stop and fill up when its 1/2 a tank low than when its empty. plus over the long haul it helps to prevent moisture from building up in a almost empty gas tank.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, always at 1/4 and always with premium................ymmv
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
1/4 tank at a minimum in my truck. Once in a while, I'll run it lower but very infrequently.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
I drive mine until the light comes on, then go to the pump and let it fill until the auto-shutoff stops it.

Always the same.

Gives me consistent gas mileage readings that way.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
I drive mine until the light comes on, then go to the pump and let it fill until the auto-shutoff stops it.

Always the same.

Gives me consistent gas mileage readings that way.
x2
Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Yep, always at 1/4 and always with premium................ymmv
do the 2nd gens have the capability for increased power with premium?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
If you live where it gets cold at night, low tank levels can cause more condensation to form.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
When the light comes on it's time to fill up unless there are no gas stations along your future route .
Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
good posts and I agree about the condensation...another good reason to keep it as full as possible, especially during any long term storage.

But hasn't anyone heard of the fuel helping keep the fuel pump cooler so it lasts longer? I'm not making it up that's why i do it. in the old cars, when we had mechanical pumps on the engine, this was not an issue, but with the electric ones it is. Maybe in the Tacos, the pump does not sit low in the tank?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
sbsurfer is on a distinguished road

sbsurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Came across this on the internets a couple weeks ago, interesting read:

http://rense.com/general81/gass.htm

"One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying i ts empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount."
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I don't worry about it. Just don't run it out, as that can damage the cat when the engine stalls.
The fuel flowing through the pump cools it. This has never been a problem on Toyota vehicles.

It's been a big problem on GM vehicles... but they frequently fail even when not run empty.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
i usually fill up at about 1/4 tank just outta habit
Old 04-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtacomaTIGER View Post
do the 2nd gens have the capability for increased power with premium?
The V6 was designed for premium, but de-tunes for regular.
The 2.7 shows no change.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
1/4 tank at a minimum in my truck. Once in a while, I'll run it lower but very infrequently.
Pretty much.

I don't sweat it if my light comes on... I mean there's still 3-4 gallons left... but I normally make sure that I don't park it for the night with less gas than would be needed to get to work and back (90 miles).
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsurfer View Post
Came across this on the internets a couple weeks ago, interesting read:

http://rense.com/general81/gass.htm

"One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying i ts empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount."
So, if I'm reading this correctly, your gas is gonna evaporate out of a sealed tank?

I mean, MY gas tank has a pressure warning on the cap, and its tough to have a closed, pressurized system if theres enough holes to evap the gas all out.

Or am I missing something? Like, my 18 gallon tank is gonna have 12 cents of gasoline evaporate and stay inside the tank as non burned fuel this month? Oh noez?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
sbsurfer is on a distinguished road

sbsurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
So, if I'm reading this correctly, your gas is gonna evaporate out of a sealed tank?

I mean, MY gas tank has a pressure warning on the cap, and its tough to have a closed, pressurized system if theres enough holes to evap the gas all out.

Or am I missing something? Like, my 18 gallon tank is gonna have 12 cents of gasoline evaporate and stay inside the tank as non burned fuel this month? Oh noez?
Pretty sure the quote is referring to the gasoline that vaporizes while the fill up is taking place and could escape the tank before you put the cap on? Not sure but the article had some good points.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
I had a neighboor whose kid had an F-150 and went to jail for 3 years. The truck sat on the side yard and was never moved for 3 years. When he got out of jail he put a new battery in it and fired it right up.