Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lift or No Lift, That is the Question......

Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
DUCKSHOT is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
DUCKSHOT's Tacoma Gallery
Lift or No Lift, That is the Question......

I have an 01 Tacoma Prerunner (2WD) and need to redo the entire suspension. Been looking at an OME 3 lift with Dakkar leaf springs in the rear cause my rear leafs are shot. Been looking at this for a while and doing research the best I can.
Last August I put new tires on and went a size bigger (265/75R16) and I just hit 5,000 miles. Went yesterday to get them rotated and balanced and then went to get the alignment redone cause I have a 1 year warranty. The new GM said my lower ball joints had too much play and all my shocks and struts were bad too.
I really like the way a lifted truck looks but after seeing it will cost me twice the price of just going stock parts I am rethinking this move. Worried about new problems I may create for myself (for a 2WD) and how long it will last compared to stock equipment. I think there was a 40,000 mile warranty with the OME.
I use this as a daily driver and pull a flat boat with it on the weekends and dont really go off road. I plan to drive this for a long time. When something breaks on it Im gunna fix it and keep rolling. I do have thoughts of putting and ARB locker in the rear and possibly 4X4 mod up front but thats just an idea no idea when or if I could pull it off.
Anyone else in a similar situation that can offer some advice it would be great seen as how Ive never owned a lifted truck. Is that 3 really gunna be that much of a difference? Havent really seen a side by side shot of my truck stock and then one with my size tires and a 3 lift. Does it start as a 3 lift and settle at 2-2.5 over time or does it start out higher?
Anyone with a 3 lift and 265/75R16 and would never go back to stock????