Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone running the Marlin Crawler short throw shifter?

Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running the Marlin Crawler short throw shifter?

Thinking about picking it up. I don't like the long throw in my 02. I know URD makes one but Marlins looks more of a complete unit plus I've dealt with them before and they were always very honest and helpful. Not that I'm saying URD isn't, I just don't have much experience with them.

-Brian
Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Bump. Also interested. Anyone know the differences between the marlin crawler one and the URD one?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
JMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jack
JMaberry's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey bud!

I was going to do a write up a few weeks back but ended up getting swamped in the office and I just got back from camping but....

The Marlin crawler short shifter is a modified stock unit; they use the original shifter and modify the height of the plate that holds it to the transmission and the shifter seat. The lower pivot shortens the throw while retaining a stock handle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The URD kit includes an extension for the shifter INSIDE the transmission.

It is a 3 piece kit; one piece that replicates the dimensions of the stock shifter in order to allow it to fit back into the transmission and two identical pieces that change the profile of the shaft from a V to a cylinder in order to keep the lower shifter portion straight and secure. They also include a sandwich adapter plate as the increased height would prevent the shifter from getting full movement.

The URD does have a few little hiccups...

1. There is the chance for the pieces to fall off and go into your transmission?!?!?!?!?!

(not if you set it up correctly using locktite and peaning the bolts)

2. The OEM rubber shift boot doesn't stretch that well and you will find that it could potentially pop off the retainer on the shifter. Mine has done so and I remedied that with duct tape. And has held up A-OKAY.

3. RTV is fun stuff. Be prepared to ruin at least one shirt getting all the surfaces properly gooped.

However, it does have it's benefits.

1. Cost

2. It gives you the chance to replace your ball/seat combination (Marlin includes this as well but it's nice to do it with the URD too)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't used the Marlin shifter so I cannot give any insight there but I have had my URD installed for a month now and there have been no problems. I don't think I could ever go back to a stock unit.

In any case, when either manufacturers short shifter is installed properly, you won't have any problems and you'll be able to enjoy not moving your arm approximately 63 feet in order to get the tranny in the next gear

Hope this helps!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
*as a side note, for those running a body lift kit, the 1" height increase could potentially help you and make it so you don't need to extend the shifter