Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

K&n air intake system?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Elc1973 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Parachute rigger
Elc1973's Tacoma Gallery
K&n air intake system?

Thinking of getting this anyone have any experience with it? Does it help boost fuel mileage? Power? Good bad or ugly I'd like your opinions.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Q Source is on a distinguished road
Q Source's Tacoma Gallery
Have you read about the deckplate mod?

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=85

Further reading...

http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduction.htm
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Will not improve mpg.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Will gunk up your MAF sensor, and eventually cause problems.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Will gunk up your MAF sensor, and eventually cause problems.
you must be "chicken little"

there are a lot of reasons not to buy one...
but that comment is like swiss cheese.

btw... have had muh fipk for over 13 years...
none of what you say has ever occurred.

feel free to tell me where I've failed
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Tacomanater is on a distinguished road

Tacomanater's Tacoma Gallery
I've had one on my truck for about two years. No issues, but I can't say that it has done anything for mpg. One the noise side, when you jump on it, more noise/sound.....worth it overall????????jury is still out on that one, but I am not unhappy...just not so sure I'd do it again...the lifetime filter does help, tho, one less thing to replace..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
I studied the K&N air filters in depth approximately 12 years ago, so I don't know if their technology has changed. But the bottom line is that i didn't install one because i was not convinced that it would stop dust and other particulates from entering the combustion chamber of the engine as well as a good standard filter...ie, less restriction in the K&K means more dust gets through.

I use high quality air filters such as NAPA Gold.

I'm not trying to start an argument here....maybe someone with real technical data on the K&N can chime in... hopefully not someone with a dog in the fight (ie a K&N salesman)

For me the most important function of an air filter is to keep sh*t out

I do like their oil filters
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
btw... have had muh fipk for over 13 years...
none of what you say has ever occurred.
feel free to tell me where I've failed
There does appear to be 2 sides to the K&N 'issue'.
I admit that I've have not actually used an oiled filter on an EFI rig, but
have done research on forums like this, and decided against it
because of the MAF problems experienced by others and the
additional hassle of oiling properly. Why some have success with
it and other do not, I don't know.

There are many previous threads on this, including this one:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...n-filters.html

BTW, I ran a oiled K&N on my carbureted 22R about 15 years ago, but took it out after about a year, and went back to stock. Same experience with an aftermarket ignition, which actually failed completely after 18 months. Neither product lived up to the hype.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Why some have success with
it and other do not, I don't know.
maybe some folk can read, follow directions...
while others cannot !?

But seriously...
many folk are simply misinformed...

It's the K&N "drop in" filter element for the oem air box
that's more subject to the the over oiling issues.
Because flow design is straight thru, plus a shorter distance to the MAF.

No matter tho'
just because oil residue gets on the MAF does not mean it's ruined.
Nor is it difficult to clean by any means or standards.

There are MAF sprays on the APS's shelves, to clean that.
I'm not paying that much for it tho'
Instead... I use rubbing alcohol and a Qtip (never had issue)

^ I clean off my MAF on occasion whether it needs it or not
basic maintenance keeps performance at its peak.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
whathefk will become famous soon enough

Name: randy
whathefk's Tacoma Gallery
I'll sell you mine.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
EWhitman11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eli
EWhitman11's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a K&N in my 03' Taco. My opinion is its worth it. I have definitely not noticed and increase in MPG, if there is any, its barely anything. The mainly notice the slight HP increase, and the way it sounds when you step on it a little more. I'm glad I bought mine but don't spend your money if you just want increased MPG
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
i have had mine on for about 5 or 6 years now...

my truck is approaching 300,000 miles with no issue as i clean out the MAF sensor at least once a year...

no MPG gains... i could care less about HP gains as i don't drive fast and furious...

i do notice that the throttle is more responsive with the kit on, so i keep it...

before that, i had the deck plate mod... i didn't notice much difference except for all the little creatures that would crawl into the hole and not figure out how to get back out...
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, the drop in K&N has roughly half the surface area of the OEM filter. Its about %50 thinner with 24 pleats vs OEM 22 pleats. The aFe drop in filter retains the OEM size and has similar flow characteristics as the K&N drop in. IMO, the drop in is a waist of money.