1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end Wreck. Bumper pushed in. Part 2. Need help to get her on the road

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hansel, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Apr 21, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    Hansel

Hansel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    So far I've done the easy things (example, bent the sheet metal so that the front wheel doesn't rub and I can steer the truck now.

The remaining issue is that when the bumper was pushed in (see photo), the a/c sight glass canister, which is located behind the grill near the driver's side headlight, also got pushed back which in turn pushed the bottom part of the radiator against the plastic engine fan.

I tried removing the sight glass canister yesterday, but there are two screws and one nut holding it in place...I would be able to get the canister out of the way if it weren't for the one screw "holding" the canister in place...bottom line is that the canister is jammed in there. If I were able to move the canister out of the way, then I could have bent the radiator bracket back toward the front of the truck and then moved the radiator forward. I think if I could move the radiator forward about an inch at the bottom of driver's side of the radiator, I would have the clearance necessary to be able to start the engine and drive the truck to get it to the body man.

So I'm back to the original idea of pulling out the bumper where it got pushed in. But in looking at the bumper, there is no obvious place where I could wrap the come along.

Another thought I had would be to remove the plastic fan so it doesn't rub (is this easy to do?). On the passenger side the radiator was not pushed in so I think I would have access to the fan on that side. I could loosen the fan belt and turn the fan as needed in order to remove the fan nuts or bolts. Once the fan is removed, I could then drive the taco to the bodyman on a cold morning. I don't think it would overheat as long as I keep driving and don't idle it.

What do you guys think? Any ideas on how fix it just well enough to get the truck to the repair man?

IMG_0826.jpg

2. Apr 22, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    colby8100

colby8100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    Lowered,leather interior,system,1jz swap,rims,painted bumpers mirrors ect
    Hook a chain to the bumper cause its toast throw it in reverse to snatch it back. It won't hurt nothing I am a body tech. You really need to tow it the apron is blowed out so support is back most likely rad. Damage maybe even frame. Plus hood being buckled could damge the latch and you'll be needing a windshield and and roof if it flys open. Please just tow it because frame damage could hurt suspension plus if hood flew up You could wreck and kill someone.

3. Apr 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    colby8100

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    Plus when you pull one with a come along you have to massage the metal with a hammer to get it to move properly so the vibration from the chain snatching will normally allow tge metal to give enough to come out without tearing.

4. Apr 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    If you are just trying to get it driveable to get to a body shop I would say leave it alone and tow it. You might do more damage by trying to pull things.

5. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    Hansel

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Thanks for the advice

Colby, I had already thought of strapping down the hood, in case it were to fly open...I'm with you...safety is #1.

6. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    Hansel

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Boerseun - Long story short, it can't be towed across the border to the body man, has to be under its own power. It will be street legal, insured, etc...but will still look bad.

-----------------------------------

I'm thinking to just remove the radiator shroud, radiator, then taking off the fan, replacing the radiator, and driving it to the shop on a cool morning. As long as I keep moving on the road, it shouldn't overheat. If I have to stop, I'll shut down the engine to stop heat buildup. The only issue now is that the fans rubs slightly against the radiator. My friend's father took his car trailer to the crash site, fired up the tacoma, and drove it onto the trailer and towed it to his house. So the vehicle will start and run, I just don't know if I should try and run it to the repair shop (I'm guessing it is about 8 miles to the repair man's place) with the blade rubbing on the radiator.

is it just a matter of taking out 3 or 4 bolts to remove the plastic fan, or is it more involved than that?

Any reason my idea doesn't make sense to you guys?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    colby8100

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    Take bumper off like 6 or 8 bolts strap hood down n go