Replacing powered antenna with regular?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Central Oregon Member
therexinator is on a distinguished road

Name: Rex
therexinator's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing powered antenna with regular?

Hey guys,
After 240k my powered antenna has kicked the bucket. I would like to just put in a normal one. How hard is it to get done, probably have to take my whole fender off. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Can't really advise you on the conversion issues, but I will say that my non-power antenna works better than any I've ever had. I get stations that I never got with my powered antenna on my old 4runner.

It should be do-able unless the hole in your fender is a different size or shape than fenders with non-power antenna.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Riley
fouillard13's Tacoma Gallery
i did it on my 01 4runner. unplug old motor and buy universal antenna at parts tore for 20 bucks
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
this might help...

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/whip/index.html
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
What the hell is a powered antenna... never heard of that before.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Central Oregon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordBRD View Post
Thank you that was exactly what I needed, lol sorry for the late post, just got internet at our new house...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Central Oregon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
What the hell is a powered antenna... never heard of that before.
Sorry for the late post lol, it's a retractible antenna that is wired to your radio power. And after 200k miles they're not worth much. Toyota finally went with a regular antenna all around.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
I had to do this at about the same mialage as you. it was easy. Toyota had the parts and it was only pretty cheap.

I would recommend getting a few of the fender clips when you get the antenna, they are crap after 15 years and not all of them will be reusable.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Central Oregon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
I had to do this at about the same mialage as you. it was easy. Toyota had the parts and it was only pretty cheap.

I would recommend getting a few of the fender clips when you get the antenna, they are crap after 15 years and not all of them will be reusable.
Yeah I definitely planned on that, nice build page by the way! You did a couple mods I'm looking to do pretty soon, helped me out quite a bit!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Half028 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kenny
Half028's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to remove the rubber lining in the wheel well. Had to change out my antenna on my 98 tacoma and it was easy access.