1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just finished putting in my e-locker, one last question.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TonyTacoBC, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Apr 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    TonyTacoBC

TonyTacoBC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    Everything went together, looks totally factory. Wiring is done to the highest standard of quality by my friend and me. Just one thing isn't working like it should. The lock detector switch isn't working. The diff locks and unlocks perfectly but when it's locked the dash light keeps flashing because of the bad switch. Is it cheap and easy to replace the switch? Or perhaps I might be able to repair the switch?

2. Apr 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    So are you sure its locking/unlocking by use of the switch ? But the rear diff button keeps flashing ? (just want to make sure i'm understanding you right )

3. Apr 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    TonyTacoBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    Yes, that's right. I know the diff is locking. It's easy to tell. We tested the lock detection circuit and it works. I know for sure it's a faulty switch.

4. Apr 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    It may or may not be faulty, reason i say that is because the E-locker is tied into the ABS & can sometimes be a little glitchy, it would suck for it to kick out your locker when you need it..I somehow had smacked the banjo bolt for the front caliper in a deep rut once, it hit just hard enough to slightly loosen it (a little fluid could be seen leaking around it) but my point is something "sensed" there was a brake problem & it took my locker out of the mix just when I needed it most

5. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    I did a complete tear down, lube and reseal on my actuator just for PM. It had always worked flawlessly. On the bench I was checking at what point in it's range of travel the indicator switch made contact. It didn't, heck, it was working before. I tapped the ball on the end with a small hammer and all was well. Same thing happened to the back up light switch on my tranny, very similar switch.
    The switch just unscrews, like a drain plug, a $20 or more drain plug.

Another thought.
    Did you follow the "indexing" process when the actuator was mounted?

It is possible to get the actuator out of phase with the locker. It can lock but not completely and it might not be enough to throw the switch.
    There is a procedure for indexing the actuator pinion gear to the locker rack gear to prevent over/under travel of the locker mechanism.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. Apr 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    TonyTacoBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    When I installed the actuator I just made sure the actuator and the diff were both in the locked position. I tested it out and it locked and unlocked just fine. Is this not the way to do it?

Products Discussed in

To Top