Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just finished putting in my e-locker, one last question.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
TonyTacoBC is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
TonyTacoBC's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished putting in my e-locker, one last question.

Everything went together, looks totally factory. Wiring is done to the highest standard of quality by my friend and me. Just one thing isn't working like it should. The lock detector switch isn't working. The diff locks and unlocks perfectly but when it's locked the dash light keeps flashing because of the bad switch. Is it cheap and easy to replace the switch? Or perhaps I might be able to repair the switch?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTacoBC View Post
Everything went together, looks totally factory. Wiring is done to the highest standard of quality by my friend and me. Just one thing isn't working like it should. The lock detector switch isn't working. The diff locks and unlocks perfectly but when it's locked the dash light keeps flashing because of the bad switch. Is it cheap and easy to replace the switch? Or perhaps I might be able to repair the switch?
So are you sure its locking/unlocking by use of the switch ? But the rear diff button keeps flashing ? (just want to make sure i'm understanding you right )
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #3

Yes, that's right. I know the diff is locking. It's easy to tell. We tested the lock detection circuit and it works. I know for sure it's a faulty switch.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTacoBC View Post
Yes, that's right. I know the diff is locking. It's easy to tell. We tested the lock detection circuit and it works. I know for sure it's a faulty switch.
It may or may not be faulty, reason i say that is because the E-locker is tied into the ABS & can sometimes be a little glitchy, it would suck for it to kick out your locker when you need it..I somehow had smacked the banjo bolt for the front caliper in a deep rut once, it hit just hard enough to slightly loosen it (a little fluid could be seen leaking around it) but my point is something "sensed" there was a brake problem & it took my locker out of the mix just when I needed it most
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
I did a complete tear down, lube and reseal on my actuator just for PM. It had always worked flawlessly. On the bench I was checking at what point in it's range of travel the indicator switch made contact. It didn't, heck, it was working before. I tapped the ball on the end with a small hammer and all was well. Same thing happened to the back up light switch on my tranny, very similar switch.
The switch just unscrews, like a drain plug, a $20 or more drain plug.

Another thought.
Did you follow the "indexing" process when the actuator was mounted?

It is possible to get the actuator out of phase with the locker. It can lock but not completely and it might not be enough to throw the switch.
There is a procedure for indexing the actuator pinion gear to the locker rack gear to prevent over/under travel of the locker mechanism.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

When I installed the actuator I just made sure the actuator and the diff were both in the locked position. I tested it out and it locked and unlocked just fine. Is this not the way to do it?