LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does my '99 need new leaf springs?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
Does my '99 need new leaf springs?

Just on my own, I'd assume yes, but then I've never seen what fresh leaf springs on a gen 1 "should" look like. I've gotten some good info here about lifts, etc., but this is a Prerunner that is used for utility only - mainly house rehab stuff. In other words, I don't need to lift it, but if new springs and shocks would improve the ride, my wife would be happy, as she drives it once a week. And speaking of shocks, the current set of KYB gas-a-just shocks probably could stand to be replaced too. They're about the rustiest things on the truck.

Anyway, your thoughts on the leafs?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Mine have looked like that for at least 5 years now.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
YES... That is way past flat lol. Thats like hyperextending your knees
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles do you have on the stock suspension? I replaced mine at 100k and they were way past overused. New suspension helped with the bouncy and squirrelly handling.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
How many miles do you have on the stock suspension? I replaced mine at 100k and they were way past overused. New suspension helped with the bouncy and squirrelly handling.
I have 165,000 on mine.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Mine look like the OP's at 60k miles. New leafs are in my future though.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
toastyjosh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: helitack
toastyjosh's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses, guys. FYI, the truck has just over 150k miles, mostly in AZ and CA (not sure how it was used, but most of the exhaust is still nicely coated with some yellowish mud that has baked into stone and will NOT come off!) and has only been riding the mean streets of Chi town for about a year and a half. The truck started out as a work vehicle only, but has since morphed into a second family vehicle. I have two child seats in there now. And since my wife will drive it at least weekly, there has been increased requests to do something about making it drive a little smoother. I figure some new springs and shocks are about due anyway.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Good photos. Reminds me, I need to check the springs on my truck as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Taco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
yes haha you need some new leafs sir
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
Just on my own, I'd assume yes, but then I've never seen what fresh leaf springs on a gen 1 "should" look like. I've gotten some good info here about lifts, etc., but this is a Prerunner that is used for utility only - mainly house rehab stuff. In other words, I don't need to lift it, but if new springs and shocks would improve the ride, my wife would be happy, as she drives it once a week. And speaking of shocks, the current set of KYB gas-a-just shocks probably could stand to be replaced too. They're about the rustiest things on the truck.

Anyway, your thoughts on the leafs?

You've got some linear deformity but they're not trash yet, I wouldn't throw a lot of money at a new leafpack unless the mains were bent right before the eyeletts, couple chevy springs or even over the counter AAL would turn that spring into a little positive ARC & would vastly improve the ride, & sadly, no replacing this spring with new stock springs would be a HUGE waste of $$$$ Because they'll look like the old ones within a year or so....