Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ready for a locker...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Mike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud of

Mike330R's Tacoma Gallery
Ready for a locker...

It's time for a locker for the rear of my 2000 4x4.
Trying to decide on a drop in unit between a Lockright, ARB, or Detroit.

Anyone have good data why one would be better than the other?
While my rig is 80% daily driver I am not concerned with/fully aware of street handeling with a non-selectable locker.
Who has the best price, either shipped or local to San Diego?

I've read it's pretty easy to install but I don't have a good gauge to measure backlash and would rather have someone else do it, what's the going rate an who do you suggest?

Also trying to figure out what gear ratio I have. I believe it's the 8".
According to THIS POST I have 3.91's?

Is the B06A towards the lower right corner the correct numbers to tell ratio?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
TonyTacoBC is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
TonyTacoBC's Tacoma Gallery
You're correct, you have 3.91s.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Mike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud of

Guess no 1st gens run lockers?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i run a locrite, iirc you dont need to measure backlash with the locrite, it just replaces the spider gears
Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
For something that you drive daily I wouldn't get a full time locker.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
cshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: cameron
cshade's Tacoma Gallery
just get a Detroit. if im not mistaken you have the 8.4 axle wich is very easy to do a full locker (took me 6 hours to do and i had never even seen a diff). My truck is my only vehicle and once you drive with it for a few weeks its like its not even there. I also haven't seen any extra tire wear and i just got new tires so ive been keeping track. you cant go wrong with a detriot, there bulletproof and you dont have to worry about any air issues.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

The only Detroit I have found that will fit is around $600. For another 300 I can have a selectable.
Still trying to make up my mind though.

BTW: this axle is the 8" version.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Aussie...

I have a Chrysler 8.25 rear and my Aussie was 300 bones. Dunno about the yota axles tho. And it performs like a mofo
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

Contacted Aussie, said they don't make one for an 8".
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Ah that blows. Look at lockrite. Only two lunch boxes I have personal experience experience with
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have the lock rite for 3 year no problem but if say do a spartan posi instead of lock right its alittle bit stronger. And for the front do a selectable or you could just do front and rear arb
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
cshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shedcshade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: cameron
cshade's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330R View Post
The only Detroit I have found that will fit is around $600. For another 300 I can have a selectable.
Still trying to make up my mind though.

BTW: this axle is the 8" version.
Well i havent been in the locker shopping game for a while but im pretty sure that the only selectable locker for the 8" you have (also called the 8.4) is arb which is about double the price seeing how you have to have lines and a compressor. The e-lock rear is also called an 8" but the non e-lock rear has a completely different housing. so when you go to look for a locker you want to look for the 8.4 option. EX: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...n=EAT187SL199A
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
Yukon Grizzly Zip Air Locker. Fully selectable just like the ARB, same quality. Just lower price! Tons of guys run them without any problems.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I would definitely get a selectable locker for a daily driver. Being an ARB owner I am partial to their product. I've found mine to have instantaneous engagement, be very reliable and very durable. Also, ARB customer service is second to none. ARB has proven over and over again that they stand behind their products.

My story: I exploded my ARB through sheer stupidity. I engaged it while one of my tires was spinning and blew up the cage. (long story) I called their Renton WA customer service line and explained how I broke the locker. I acknowledged that the I was to blame in the incident, but asked if there was anything they could do to help out a loyal customer. ARB sent me a new cage, piston seal, main bearing and all the associated hardware entirely for free. For me, that makes ARB products worth the premium price.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the cash, there is no way anyone can make an argument against an ARB.

Its expensive, but will be stronger than anything else, and because its your DD, it will be better on the road.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #17

Ordered the ARB with the free compressor today.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330R View Post
Ordered the ARB with the free compressor today.
good choice...I wish I had the dough right now to do that

My personal top choice is to find a e locker 3rd member with all the electronics and swap it in. OEM e lockers were 4.10 gears and that is what is in my truck, so it would work well (wouldn't have to regear the front)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
My personal top choice is to find a e locker 3rd member with all the electronics and swap it in. OEM e lockers were 4.10 gears and that is what is in my truck, so it would work well (wouldn't have to regear the front)

^ I THINK you have to swap the full axle to fit go e-locker. If I remember correctly, the third members (and as a result axle housing) are different shapes between the 8" e-locker and the standard 8.4" so they are not interchangeable.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #20

Pretty sure the full axle swap is needed.

I looked into that swap but decided on ARB.

Products Discussed in this Thread