1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how much rust is too much rust, frame concern

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by paquu, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Apr 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    paquu

paquu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
    I live in the north east. I've recently lost my 2000 tacoma due to the frame corrosion issue and it was eligible for the buy back program. Since then, I've been looking for another tacoma to replace it. I'm trying to find a 2001-2004 double cab in the best condition/lowest miles possible. I've been emailing all the dealers requesting for pictures of the frame. Here's one example of what I'm seeing:

04 dealer pictures
    http://modules06.dealercarsearch.com/usercontrols/largephotos.aspx?id=2840693
    underside:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qaDlpdlBhLXRRdG8/edit?pli=1
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qQkNYcGJXRXFocDQ/edit?pli=1
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qUklFOXVBUjFYX0U/edit?pli=1
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qOC0zX0F3R3BYejA/edit?pli=1
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qNTB1QWhMZFF1ZWM/edit?pli=1
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qNlFnaWxVSnBTb2c/edit?pli=1
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qN2lmcklxeDVRSm8/edit?pli=1
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DBVjIiUM4qd1I2M05mNDdNUG8/edit?pli=1

So what I'm really asking is, on a scale of 1-10, (10 being worst) where do you think this falls? It'll give me a good idea of what to stay away from and whats just superficial.

Thanks guys!

2. Apr 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    If all those shots are the same truck, sadly I would say it is not quite a 10 but it's way beyond a 9. Truly a shame.

3. Apr 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    Yes, all those were the same truck. Okay here's another. This one had been taken to the toyota dealership and the frame had been sprayed. What are your thoughts?

001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
    005.jpg

4. Apr 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    couple more

006.jpg
    007.jpg
    008.jpg
    009.jpg

5. Apr 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    taco65

taco65 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    canada
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey and pyrite. yes two of them god help me.
    Unmodded and staying that way.
    I personally wouldn't be afraid of the frame on that red one. its still got most of the paint on it. take a small ball peen hammer and tap away lookin for soft spots. that is a nice truck by the way.

6. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    Yeah, but I'd like to keep this truck for a very long time if possible. taco65, which one is the nice one? the red or the second one i posted? The second one i posted was owned by a guy who was meticulous, its got 87k mi, a clean record, and the dealer has documentation of all oil changes, etc. Thing is, its in VA, so I'd have to take a trip if I really want it.

I'm in a bit of a situation, the buy back program offered me a very gracious amount, enough that i could buy either of these. However, I'm being pursuaded to get a lease on a brand new truck by family members. They believe a used car will have unexpected repairs. I understand where they're coming from, but I want to own a vehicle, not lease (basically rent) one. And if the vehicle is as meticulous as it looks, I can't see why I would have any serious problems.

What are you thoughts?

7. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    Vidmon88

Vidmon88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off-Road V6
    toyotas in general, as long as you take good care of them and do the suggested services as needed, will last you a long time with minor repairs here and there.

8. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    That's exactly what I've been saying. If you had around 16k to spend on a tacoma would you lease a new one? or buy an older used one? And why?

9. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    you do know that toyota replaces the frames on the 01-04s right? so with that said id buy the red one (if its a better deal) and take it to toyota to be inspected (pretty sure itd fail) and have them replace it at no cost and keep the new frame CLEAN and sprayed every year for the life of the truck

10. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    I called the the dealership with the second tacoma I posted. He read off the paperwork to me explaining that the tacoma was tested for frame corrosion and passed. It was then recoated because it did not need to be replaced. I like your idea higherlux, I just feel like the truck will somehow mysteriously not qualify. I've already had good luck so far with the buy back program, I just wouldn't want to risk the amount of money I have to work with.

I suppose I could just call my dealership, provide pictures and see what they think. But don't you think the dealership who's selling the truck would have done the same? What are the parameters that the truck must have to qualify? A certain vin, and location of purchase? (as the frame replacements have seemed to be in the NE only)

11. Apr 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    TawcoTime

TawcoTime Taco Verde

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '01 XtraCab TRD, Manual 3.4
    KEY point here is that any '01 thru 04' truck you're looking at - if it was not previously inspected by Toyota prior to 12/31/2011 (NY was 12/31/2012) - then you are on your own. Toyota will do nothing.

When I was searching, before buying my 2001, I would take the VIN from the trucks I was considering and go the local Toyota dealer where the SM was my friend. He would check the history and tell me if it was inspected or if the frame had already been replaced. Selling dealerships (and some private owners), other than Toyota, are clueless about the frame issues or will BS you to make the sale.
    Also, I learned that visible surface rust means nothing and a nice clean frame means nothing (although chances are better that it will not be rusting through)
    My friend, the SM, showed me pics of trucks that the frames looked almost new, but failed inspection when they started tapping the critical spots where it rusts from the inside.

So that first truck you were considering, the red one, I'm guessing has never been inspected by Toyota. If that is the case and you buy it - you will be assuming all the risk if rust perforation shows up.

I have no opinion on leasing. Too many variables depending on your personal situation. I like owning. Leasing works when leased in a business name for tax reasons.

12. Apr 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    streamreeper

streamreeper If you gonna shoot,shoot-don't talk

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    the woods of western new york
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma TRD. -2009 acess cab 4x4 green.
    2004 new frame dif breather deck plate ome 881's nitro's dakkar leafs nitro's access tanoue cover
    buy one for sure,dont back away because of there MAYBEE being repairs in the future. these are yotas we r talkin about here,

13. Apr 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    actually from what ive heard toyota warranties the frame for 15 years after the original date of purchase

14. Apr 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    And thats what I wouldn't want to take a chance. It seems like everyone doesn't know the same parameters, even the toyota dealers themselves don't quite know. When I had to 2000 they didn't know what frame inspection I was talking about, and it wasn't until i got corporate involved that they all of a sudden knew what we were talking about. and tawcotime, the second truck picture i posted had the recoating done in 2010. Says frame inspection on carfax in 2010, and the dealers got the paperwork from toyota.

15. Apr 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    that red one looks exactly as nasty as my 1999 4runner looks

a life of NO washes and purpose-driven snowbank smasher in Maine
    and Massachusetts winters...still on road and still passes inspections

the factory hitch on mine is bottom-rotted through, but the frame is
    not half bad, just super ugly.

To consider the red one, You do need to crawl under, and tap frame with a small hammer everywhere you can
    reach it, and hear a ping-like sound...hit something and it sounds like bacon, it's gone

16. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    TawcoTime

TawcoTime Taco Verde

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '01 XtraCab TRD, Manual 3.4
    yeah... 'after it was inspected' for rust perforation and treated for corrosion. If it failed, Toyota replaced the frame (which is then warrantied for 1 year). But Toyota ended the inspections and corrosion treatment on 12/31/11. NY state was extended to 12/31/12.
    Remember - we're talking about 2001 through 2004 trucks.
    1995.5 through 2000 trucks are still bought back when they fail inspection IF they are within the 15 year time frame.

The dealers in the designated rust belt states should be knowledgeable.
    Other Toyota dealers may have limited or no experience with this issue and may need educated.
    You should be covered on that second truck if you decide to get it.
    Toyota still does frame replacements on those trucks that have been inspected and later fail.

17. Apr 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    Okay so to clear things up, on the 01-04 models, the frame will be replaced IF the anticorrosion treatment has been applied and the frame then fails inspection within a year? What if it hasn't gotten either? I'd like to do this with as little headaches as possible, its a 16k truck and I can't afford mistakes. I really appreciate your help guys.

18. Apr 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    cdj1

cdj1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Vidalia, GA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    King Extended travel coilovers, 5100 Shocks, Daystar shackles,OME Leaf Springs,255/85/16, front diff drop, RAT skid plates, 4.56 gears, LSD in rear, Aussie locker in the front, Front Range Offroad twin sticks, trail gear/ Bash Fab rear bumper, elite off road front bumper and sliders, warn m8000 winch, in cab winch control
    I have a 1997 Tacoma that we bought new in VA. Granted it has seen very little off road anything, the dealer sprayed that nasty black goop all over my frame. It only had surface rust (very minor) and I never sprayed or cleaned it. The truck lived 95% of its life in Virginia Beach and about 3 years in Blacksburg. The VA truck is most likely very solid. BTW if you get one with the black goop, you will hate working on it. That crap gets everywhere and does not wash out of clothes :mad:

19. Apr 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    paquu

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    42" LED bar
    I'm going to give the dealership a call this week to clear up the qualifications for the frame replacement. In the mean time, what can I expect to get/what would you look for with $16k and in what condition? I just wanna hear what the experienced tacoma owners have to say instead of solely relying on my own searches.
    Thanks!

20. Apr 28, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    The double cabs are hitting lots NOW BUT are creating big $$$$ for dealers,

Not sure where you are in Northeast BUT there are 2 at NH Toyota dealers, IRA Manchester has one and Dube in Dover has the other....plus there are 3-4 more at "used" yards ..

Be careful and wise but then you can make your purchase...;) The link below is for Dube and I can vouch for their service and sales departments; They have done ALL of my work,still do and daughter-in-law just purchased her '13 Corolla from them....Beat 'em up and throw my name around,PM for details :) ...Ask for Brian in sales ....

http://www.billdubetoyota.com/used/...dover-nh-49f029300a0a00e0006ca32e03c1bcea.htm

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top