Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

how much rust is too much rust, frame concern

Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
paquu has a spectacular aura aboutpaquu has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
how much rust is too much rust, frame concern

I live in the north east. I've recently lost my 2000 tacoma due to the frame corrosion issue and it was eligible for the buy back program. Since then, I've been looking for another tacoma to replace it. I'm trying to find a 2001-2004 double cab in the best condition/lowest miles possible. I've been emailing all the dealers requesting for pictures of the frame. Here's one example of what I'm seeing:

04 dealer pictures
http://modules06.dealercarsearch.com...spx?id=2840693
underside:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...dG8/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...cDQ/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...X0U/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...ejA/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...ZWM/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...b2c/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...Sm8/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7DB...UG8/edit?pli=1

So what I'm really asking is, on a scale of 1-10, (10 being worst) where do you think this falls? It'll give me a good idea of what to stay away from and whats just superficial.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, all those were the same truck. Okay here's another. This one had been taken to the toyota dealership and the frame had been sprayed. What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-001.jpg   how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-002.jpg   how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-003.jpg   how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-004.jpg   how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-005.jpg  

Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
couple more
Attached Thumbnails
how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-006.jpg   how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-007.jpg   how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-008.jpg   how much rust is too much rust, frame concern-009.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
taco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steve
taco65's Tacoma Gallery
I personally wouldn't be afraid of the frame on that red one. its still got most of the paint on it. take a small ball peen hammer and tap away lookin for soft spots. that is a nice truck by the way.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, but I'd like to keep this truck for a very long time if possible. taco65, which one is the nice one? the red or the second one i posted? The second one i posted was owned by a guy who was meticulous, its got 87k mi, a clean record, and the dealer has documentation of all oil changes, etc. Thing is, its in VA, so I'd have to take a trip if I really want it.

I'm in a bit of a situation, the buy back program offered me a very gracious amount, enough that i could buy either of these. However, I'm being pursuaded to get a lease on a brand new truck by family members. They believe a used car will have unexpected repairs. I understand where they're coming from, but I want to own a vehicle, not lease (basically rent) one. And if the vehicle is as meticulous as it looks, I can't see why I would have any serious problems.

What are you thoughts?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Vidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: Federal
Name: Alex
Vidmon88's Tacoma Gallery
toyotas in general, as long as you take good care of them and do the suggested services as needed, will last you a long time with minor repairs here and there.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly what I've been saying. If you had around 16k to spend on a tacoma would you lease a new one? or buy an older used one? And why?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
you do know that toyota replaces the frames on the 01-04s right? so with that said id buy the red one (if its a better deal) and take it to toyota to be inspected (pretty sure itd fail) and have them replace it at no cost and keep the new frame CLEAN and sprayed every year for the life of the truck
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
I called the the dealership with the second tacoma I posted. He read off the paperwork to me explaining that the tacoma was tested for frame corrosion and passed. It was then recoated because it did not need to be replaced. I like your idea higherlux, I just feel like the truck will somehow mysteriously not qualify. I've already had good luck so far with the buy back program, I just wouldn't want to risk the amount of money I have to work with.

I suppose I could just call my dealership, provide pictures and see what they think. But don't you think the dealership who's selling the truck would have done the same? What are the parameters that the truck must have to qualify? A certain vin, and location of purchase? (as the frame replacements have seemed to be in the NE only)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquu View Post
I called the the dealership with the second tacoma I posted. He read off the paperwork to me explaining that the tacoma was tested for frame corrosion and passed. It was then recoated because it did not need to be replaced. I like your idea higherlux, I just feel like the truck will somehow mysteriously not qualify. I've already had good luck so far with the buy back program, I just wouldn't want to risk the amount of money I have to work with.

I suppose I could just call my dealership, provide pictures and see what they think. But don't you think the dealership who's selling the truck would have done the same? What are the parameters that the truck must have to qualify? A certain vin, and location of purchase? (as the frame replacements have seemed to be in the NE only)
KEY point here is that any '01 thru 04' truck you're looking at - if it was not previously inspected by Toyota prior to 12/31/2011 (NY was 12/31/2012) - then you are on your own. Toyota will do nothing.

When I was searching, before buying my 2001, I would take the VIN from the trucks I was considering and go the local Toyota dealer where the SM was my friend. He would check the history and tell me if it was inspected or if the frame had already been replaced. Selling dealerships (and some private owners), other than Toyota, are clueless about the frame issues or will BS you to make the sale.
Also, I learned that visible surface rust means nothing and a nice clean frame means nothing (although chances are better that it will not be rusting through)
My friend, the SM, showed me pics of trucks that the frames looked almost new, but failed inspection when they started tapping the critical spots where it rusts from the inside.

So that first truck you were considering, the red one, I'm guessing has never been inspected by Toyota. If that is the case and you buy it - you will be assuming all the risk if rust perforation shows up.

I have no opinion on leasing. Too many variables depending on your personal situation. I like owning. Leasing works when leased in a business name for tax reasons.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
streamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nice

Name: matt
streamreeper's Tacoma Gallery
buy one for sure,dont back away because of there MAYBEE being repairs in the future. these are yotas we r talkin about here,
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by TawcoTime View Post
KEY point here is that any '01 thru 04' truck you're looking at - if it was not previously inspected by Toyota prior to 12/31/2011 (NY was 12/31/2012) - then you are on your own. Toyota will do nothing.
actually from what ive heard toyota warranties the frame for 15 years after the original date of purchase
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
And thats what I wouldn't want to take a chance. It seems like everyone doesn't know the same parameters, even the toyota dealers themselves don't quite know. When I had to 2000 they didn't know what frame inspection I was talking about, and it wasn't until i got corporate involved that they all of a sudden knew what we were talking about. and tawcotime, the second truck picture i posted had the recoating done in 2010. Says frame inspection on carfax in 2010, and the dealers got the paperwork from toyota.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
that red one looks exactly as nasty as my 1999 4runner looks

a life of NO washes and purpose-driven snowbank smasher in Maine
and Massachusetts winters...still on road and still passes inspections

the factory hitch on mine is bottom-rotted through, but the frame is
not half bad, just super ugly.

To consider the red one, You do need to crawl under, and tap frame with a small hammer everywhere you can
reach it, and hear a ping-like sound...hit something and it sounds like bacon, it's gone
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
actually from what ive heard toyota warranties the frame for 15 years after the original date of purchase
yeah... 'after it was inspected' for rust perforation and treated for corrosion. If it failed, Toyota replaced the frame (which is then warrantied for 1 year). But Toyota ended the inspections and corrosion treatment on 12/31/11. NY state was extended to 12/31/12.
Remember - we're talking about 2001 through 2004 trucks.
1995.5 through 2000 trucks are still bought back when they fail inspection IF they are within the 15 year time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquu View Post
And thats what I wouldn't want to take a chance. It seems like everyone doesn't know the same parameters, even the toyota dealers themselves don't quite know. When I had to 2000 they didn't know what frame inspection I was talking about, and it wasn't until i got corporate involved that they all of a sudden knew what we were talking about. and tawcotime, the second truck picture i posted had the recoating done in 2010. Says frame inspection on carfax in 2010, and the dealers got the paperwork from toyota.
The dealers in the designated rust belt states should be knowledgeable.
Other Toyota dealers may have limited or no experience with this issue and may need educated.
You should be covered on that second truck if you decide to get it.
Toyota still does frame replacements on those trucks that have been inspected and later fail.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so to clear things up, on the 01-04 models, the frame will be replaced IF the anticorrosion treatment has been applied and the frame then fails inspection within a year? What if it hasn't gotten either? I'd like to do this with as little headaches as possible, its a 16k truck and I can't afford mistakes. I really appreciate your help guys.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1997 Tacoma that we bought new in VA. Granted it has seen very little off road anything, the dealer sprayed that nasty black goop all over my frame. It only had surface rust (very minor) and I never sprayed or cleaned it. The truck lived 95% of its life in Virginia Beach and about 3 years in Blacksburg. The VA truck is most likely very solid. BTW if you get one with the black goop, you will hate working on it. That crap gets everywhere and does not wash out of clothes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to give the dealership a call this week to clear up the qualifications for the frame replacement. In the mean time, what can I expect to get/what would you look for with $16k and in what condition? I just wanna hear what the experienced tacoma owners have to say instead of solely relying on my own searches.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #20
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
The double cabs are hitting lots NOW BUT are creating big $$$$ for dealers,

Not sure where you are in Northeast BUT there are 2 at NH Toyota dealers, IRA Manchester has one and Dube in Dover has the other....plus there are 3-4 more at "used" yards ..

Be careful and wise but then you can make your purchase... The link below is for Dube and I can vouch for their service and sales departments; They have done ALL of my work,still do and daughter-in-law just purchased her '13 Corolla from them....Beat 'em up and throw my name around,PM for details ...Ask for Brian in sales ....

http://www.billdubetoyota.com/used/T...2e03c1bcea.htm