Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help me diagnose my clutch problem!! Please

Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Tacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dominick
Tacos Por Vida's Tacoma Gallery
help me diagnose my clutch problem!! Please

Ok, so I'm sure there is an existing thread about this but the search system here sucks and my truck is stuck at my friends house and need to try and get it out today.

Alright now to the problem. My clutch is sticking to the floor and won't release when its engaged. Going to try and bleed the system and hope that works. If not would it be the slave cylinder?? I replaced the master cylinder about 5k miles ago so don't think it's that unless I got a faulty one. I'm hoping it's nothing internal. Thoughts??

Info: 97 tacoma 5spd 122k miles original clutch
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
First and foremost, check the entire system for leaks.

If you don't find anything and bleeding doesn't work, I would suspect the new Master.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Tacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shed

alright ill check again for leaks. Only thing i saw so far was fluid came out of the master cylinder dust cap. There's a mechanic shop next door and one of the dudes came by and check it out and said to replace my slave cylinder. Should i do that or the master?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going with steve o 77.

If a slave cylinder leaks it will leak to the outside world. The master can leak internally and not show, unless an internal leak is producing a geyser inside the reservoir.
Check the clutch fork for correct position. The Taco fork/pivot ball can get so worn out that they just fall apart.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Have you crawled down there to check out the slave cylinder?
Try to move the lever manually and see if there is any resistance.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
It's a bad master. I used auto parts store brand ( a good one, mind you) and on my third one in a year. Sometimes I only got less than 5 k out of one. Save up and get a factory part. Ant the search function works just fine, after my second master went out I looked here and found the same advice I just gave you. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #7

alright so i replaced the slave and same thing was happening. so i replaced the master and now i don't have any pressure in my clutch. the pedal just hits the floor with the slightest pressure applied to it. was only able to bleed it for 5 or so min before i ran out of sunlight. going to bleed it again tomorrow will the pressure come back?? or has something gone wrong internally??
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #8

bump
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
You just need to bleed it longer.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacos Por Vida View Post
alright so i replaced the slave and same thing was happening. so i replaced the master and now i don't have any pressure in my clutch. the pedal just hits the floor with the slightest pressure applied to it. was only able to bleed it for 5 or so min before i ran out of sunlight. going to bleed it again tomorrow will the pressure come back?? or has something gone wrong internally??
You should have bench bled it, or have somebody step on the peddle while you crack and retighten the brake lines to the master to try and bleed out the air, but you should remove it and bench bleed it to get all the air out.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
more bleeding. Or maybe a broken clutch fork.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
You should have bench bled it, or have somebody step on the peddle while you crack and retighten the brake lines to the master to try and bleed out the air, but you should remove it and bench bleed it to get all the air out.
looked up bench bleeding and yeah this is probably what I should do. However currently renting a house with no garage so don't have a bench nor a vice to do this. Only thing i have is some good ole asphalt to lay on. But thanks for the advice guys. Just gonna wake up tomorrow and bleed it again.