LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Parking brake light, band aid fix?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
stonecutter908 has a spectacular aura aboutstonecutter908 has a spectacular aura about

stonecutter908's Tacoma Gallery
Parking brake light, band aid fix?

I have the annoying parking brake light flicking on and off and I have determined that it is just the button not staying depressed. I tried to tape it down but that only holds for a day or so. I read old threads where owners have closed the circuit on the switch. But I'm not up to that task with my limited electrical skills. Are there any other simple solutions? Right now, I just fiddle with the handle until the ligjht goes back out.

I should note that I have a manual tranny and use the pb daily. The tension seems fine and it is working without indication of a bigger problem.

Also brake fluid is topped off. My problem is definitely at the button switch tied to the light.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Use the search feature. There are at least 2 threads on this complete with answers if not solutions.

Good luck, And Welcome to TW.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Allow myself to introduce myself...
Whataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whataboutbob's Tacoma Gallery
My '98 had the same problem, I used a wire tie so it would always be off.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter908 View Post
I have the annoying parking brake light flicking on and off and I have determined that it is just the button not staying depressed. I tried to tape it down but that only holds for a day or so. I read old threads where owners have closed the circuit on the switch. But I'm not up to that task with my limited electrical skills. Are there any other simple solutions? Right now, I just fiddle with the handle until the ligjht goes back out.

I should note that I have a manual tranny and use the pb daily. The tension seems fine and it is working without indication of a bigger problem.

Also brake fluid is topped off. My problem is definitely at the button switch tied to the light.
Do you have the pull-handle parking brake lever?
If yes - pull the handle out and count the 'clicks' - It should be 12-18 clicks before it gets tight. If you have more than that, you need to adjust the cable tension. Cable can 'stretch' over time.

Have you inspected the rear drum brakes?
If your rear drum brakes are getting 'thin' - the parking brake can get loose.
Each time you replace the shoes in your drum brakes, you should inspect & re-adjust the parking brake tension.

Here's a write-up on how I adjusted the cable tension
http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mecha...adjustment.htm
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
u could use electrical tape or just umplug the plug behind the swich
like i did