Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

belt squealing at idle and during acceleration

Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
unhgod is on a distinguished road
unhgod's Tacoma Gallery
belt squealing at idle and during acceleration

Hey guys, new to the forum. just got a 2003 v6 manual sr5 tacoma with 80k miles. I have noticed a light squeal from the engine area (which I am assuming is a belt) when I start the car and it is idle. I don't hear the noise as I accelerate 1st through 3rd (possibly because the engine is louder than it) but I do notice the squeal gets louder when I am accelerating in 4th and 5th gear. I am nervous about the noise coming from the timing belt which i know should be replaced at 90k and can cause major damage if the engine fails. But I am hoping it is a different belt that is easier to replace and much less costly.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Use the search button in the blue bar - there's lots of posts out there about this already.

Check your belts for proper tightness - find an area of each belt that is OPEN. Grab the edges with your thumb & finger and twist. If the belt goes past PERPENDICULAR, the belt is too loose & needs tightened.

Also, inspect your belts for wear and inspect the pulleys for anything obvious.

If that doesn't help - do another search.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
unhgod's Tacoma Gallery
I did try to search but must not have been using the correct terms because i was coming up with no results based on squealing that gets louder during acceleration. Thanks for the tips though!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
unhgod's Tacoma Gallery
links

clicked on the links and they didn't take me anywhere. i was able to just search for 'belt' and find some good info. haven't had the chance to check the belts yet but i did notice this morning that the noise wasn't there. it rained last night and things are wet so maybe that is stopping it from squealing.

Thanks for the help, now i just have to figure which one it is and how to change it!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhgod View Post
Thanks for the help, now i just have to figure which one it is and how to change it!
Moisture isn't necessarily going to fix the problem. As soon as things dry-up, the squeel will most likely come back.

It won't necessarily be a belt. You have to check the belts to make sure they're tight. If they're already tight enough, then you've elminated that out of the equation. If they're loose - get them adjusted properly and go from there.

A squeeling could also be a bearing going bad in any of the pulleys. In paticular, the A/C idler bearings are the first to go usually.